Upgraded to Windows 10 and Cannot Install Nvidia Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpareMonk

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
I just upgraded my OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My monitor will now only display up to 1280x1024, as opposed to the native 1920x1080. This appears to be caused by a lack of any Nvidia Drivers being installed. I have a GTX 770 and have tried numerous times to download and install both directly from the site, and by using GeForce Experience. In every case, the install stops on the first step, " checking system compatibility." I am quite certain that I am attempting to use the correct driver: Version 353.62 for the 64-bit OS. Just to be safe, I tried the 32-bit driver as well, to no avail. I am rather perplexed at this point. Any help would be appreciated. And just as a side note, it has been stuck on this step for about 18 hours now, so I think it is safe to rule out the, " just give it some time" suggestion.

Solution
Like Meeko said, make sure to disable the driver update so Microsoft doesnt overwrite you. When you install the new driver from nvidia's site first make sure to uninstall all existing drivers and software from nvidia. Then when installing the new driver you downloaded, make sure to do it via the custom menu and check the "Perform a clean installation" box.

meeko13

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
You might be encountering issue on windows 10 that it automatically updates drivers and the one you are installing is being overwritten by it. Fixed mine by disabling the update. You may follow below guide as windows 10 has no option to notify you before download unlike previous windows versions.
http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

Like Meeko said, make sure to disable the driver update so Microsoft doesnt overwrite you. When you install the new driver from nvidia's site first make sure to uninstall all existing drivers and software from nvidia. Then when installing the new driver you downloaded, make sure to do it via the custom menu and check the "Perform a clean installation" box.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.