Want to backup whole data before installing Win10 on XP machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Human Being

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
My friends have installed Windows XP since a very long time.Now, there's a backup feature in both,win8 and win10,called "System Image Backup" which is used to backup all of the data.
But what to do in winXP?Right now I haven't plunged into my friends' computers to back the data up.

That's why I'm here to ask before making my move.

Thanks for suggestions.

Solution
This depends on exactly what you want backed up.
The whole system, or just the users personal files.

Personal files are no problem. Just copy/paste them to another drive.

And for XP, you will have to purchase Windows 10. There is no free upgrade path from XP to Win 10.

RunLuke

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
System image backup is the whole system including OS, that wouldn't work.

You can get some backup solutions, but the easiest way is to copy everything he needs to an external or internal hard drive.
You are not able to back up programs AFAIK, well, if you do it's going to mess everything up, so he needs to install again. If there's a lot of pirated *, well, tough luck.

Also format the drive completely.

USAFRet

Titan
This depends on exactly what you want backed up.
The whole system, or just the users personal files.

Personal files are no problem. Just copy/paste them to another drive.

And for XP, you will have to purchase Windows 10. There is no free upgrade path from XP to Win 10.

Solution

Human Being

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015

No problem for the purchase.He just wants to get rid of the vulnerabilities in XP(Prevent attacks,sensitive data) because of no security patches.Alright then,I'll just simply copy-paste the data,also the data is personal files.

Thanks all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.