First Time Builder here, New Build Review

JaxAxRho

Honorable
Aug 7, 2015
Hello there,
As the title states, I am new to building a computer, but I'm pretty hands on and I've done a little(see hours/days) of research into what to pick, how to pick it, why to pick it, etc. I have used this forum quite a bit over the years, so I figured it's time to show my face and stop lurking. Thank you to all:

Approximate Purchase Date: Over the next week (by August 12th)
Budget Range: $700-$800 After Rebates; Before Shipping
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing and rendering, streaming, browsing, gaming (mostly negligible as I already put enough time into my XboxOne, but if I'm building a monster why not? :))
Are you buying a monitor: No/Maybe(Already have one, but I do love me some multi-monitor action)
Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Most research was done on NewEgg, but I used MicroCenter, Fry's, Amazon, and of course Google.
Parts Preferences: I went with Intel (already bought it :ange:), but I'm open to suggestion

Overclocking: Yes (why not?)
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 (that is current monitor), upgrading to/adding ? (would like suggestion)

Additional Comments: I'd like a computer case that's not too ostentatious, but if I'm building the thing, I think it would be nice to look at my handiwork/show it off so I did go with a window, but tried to find something simple. Elegance was the goal here.
I am looking to use Adobe Premiere Elements as that's what I have been using currently and it's cheaper than CS Pro. I will probably add Photoshop as it is invaluable for branding and other image editing.
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My old laptop (college laptop) was a W500 and man it still screamed if you could put it in full graphics mode. The problem was it just couldn't handle that for more than 30 minutes before it would shut itself off. Even on the lowest graphics settings it still moved pretty well for a 6 year old laptop (I was very impressed). But if I'm to continue editing I needed something better. I also took the laptop apart to try and figure out what was making it over heat and it now will not stay on for longer than boot. It gets to Windows, opens and then dies (RIP :( poor laptop).
List of Parts:
Intel i5-4690K Processor
List of parts from NewEgg Includes: Mobo, Case, RAM, GPU, SSD, PSU, Optical Drive, 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor(for SSD)
1TB Western Digital HDD

That's it. I'm sorry if this drug on quite a bit, one of the sticky's advised copy/pasting the above format and I thought that would make it really easy. Thanks in advance.
Platinum
P.S. Posted this in "Forum Feedback" earlier, but I took it down after seeing it was in the wrong place. Sorry

EDIT: Forgot to add that I will not be adding any cooling up front, so I will not be overclocking until I add that in. Preferably liquid (month to 2 months out), but if not liquid I have read that there are some good air coolers that will keep up with an over clocked CPU.

Hi.

I have been overclocking an i5 4690K over the summer and got to 4.6 Ghz on moderate air, and 4.8 Ghz, tuned back to 4.6Ghz for longevity, on 'big air'

However, your use suggests a completely different solution.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($237.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Stealth 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($91.75 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $799.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-07 16:43 EDT-0400

The Xeon is a four core CPU with turbo boost and Hyperthreading which will be much better for your main applications.
Excellent basic motherboard. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-h97m-pro4-motherboard,4191.html
Plenty of memory for your main tasks.

SSD for boot, scratch, and applications.
HDD for storage
Modest GPU for medium gaming.
Best PSU for money at the moment, bigger than you need, but nothing cheaper is better (buy fast, this price may change)
Usual bits and pieces. I assume you have a monitor.

If you have to have that CPU then:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M OC Formula Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($91.75 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $749.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-07 16:52 EDT-0400

You need a good overclocking motherboard, I got to 4.8Ghz on it.
The SSD had to go. maybe you can fit in a 12Gb boot drove. 256 is faster and not much more.
The memory is faster. Here's some data on what that speed memory will do.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2706290/g3258-memory-overclocking-project-reults.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2719471/4690k-memory-overclocking-project-results.html

JaxAxRho

Honorable
Aug 7, 2015
Thank you very much for that detailed breakdown. I actually haven't been able to use PCPartsPicker due to the fact that my work computer (my only working computer right now) does not have flash installed and I cannot install it myself due to those pesky admin privilledges (I know there's a reason, but still).
EDIT: It works now. No idea why.

I was having a discussion on a smaller version of this post with another member and they also suggested that I should use the Xeon. The only thing there is that I cannot overclock it. For my purposes I guess I don't really need to over clock. So it comes down to want, I guess I'd really like to try my hand at overclocking.

Is the performance boost I'll get from the Xeon going to outweigh the OC of the i5? I know a "personal want" is not a great reason to make this kind of decision, but I'm just curious how much I'm really losing.

JaxAxRho

Honorable
Aug 7, 2015
This is approximately the same list that I've made on my own, translated into PCPartsPicker (now that it works for me ?), with the exception of the i5. I found it at Micro Center at $199 for instore pickup. I've got a friend who was going to grab it for me.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin ECO2 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Patriot Blaze 60GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($38.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $829.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-07 17:35 EDT-0400

This is a build I put together using most of the same parts, but I switched out the i5 with the Xeon. I also switched out the Mobo for an H97 since I won't need OC utilities.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($237.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Patriot Blaze 60GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($38.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $800.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-07 17:47 EDT-0400
Again minus $15 because I found the Xeon for cheaper at Micro Center in-store pickup.

I think you are right that I should ditch the i5K because I really don't need to OC and if I do want to do that at some point, I should probably build a purpose machine for that. Or just buy a new mobo and the i5K when the price drops even more...

EDIT: I'm also just a little worried about the PSU. Is that really a quality PSU for that price?

That SSD is very small and comparatively slow. It is certainly better than nothing, but I think you will wish you did better quite soon. An SSD needs to be about 20% empty for efficient TRIM (garbage collection). If a lot of your work involves scratch files to hold partly processed work, a bigger SSD (250Gb or more)may result in great time saving.

The Hitachi disk drives have only 32Gb of cache, 64Gb from a WD Caviar Blue or Seagate Barracuda will be a little faster and more efficient, especially for what you are doing.

The Gold power supplies have great efficiency, but are not for the highest performance systems. That's a high quality PSU for a server or business or productivity machine.

Here's our thinking. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Today (but maybe not tomorrow because prices are fluid) with rebate, the Antec Neo Eco 620 is a bargain at $40. The slightly expensive EVGA G2 or the cheaper Bronze B2 (in fact mostly Silver) rated EVGA B2 750 are significantly better PSUs.

Case is your personal choice.

JaxAxRho

Honorable
Aug 7, 2015
To start, I took your advice on the CPU. You guys are the experts here and if I want a computer that's purpose built, then I should get the hardware that's best for my purpose. I did compromise a little, so I'm going with a Z97 chipset so down the road I can still pop in an unlocked CPU because overclocking is definitely something I want to try.

As for the SSD, I could probably bump up the storage, but is 120GB enough? Most of my work will be stored on the HDD (I would presume). Also I was planning to get a WD Blue[strike] from Amazon[/strike](now more expensive).

As for the power supply, I was simply worried that something that cheap would be of poor quality, but there's a lot of people on here who know what they're talking about and everyone seems to agree that the Antec is at an awesome price point. I am going to go with the EVGA B2 (currently $80 rebated to $70) because it is semi modular. I'd like to be able to only use what cords I want.
Full list (created myself):
Asus MotherBoard (89.99 after rebate)
NZXT 220 (49.99)
Team Dark 16GB(2x8) RAM (73.99)
Mushkin 120GB SSD (52.99)
WD 1TB 64MB cache (49.95)
EVGA 110-B2-0750 750W Bronze (69.99 after rebate)
Samsung Read/Write Optical (19.99)
Lastly a question, is Sapphire that much better of a mfg than Asus? My question lies in the fact that I can get an Asus R9 270X for ~$20 cheaper than the Sapphire. Is there really a difference?
Sapphire R9 270X - Was cheaper 3 days ago around $130 (damnit) now 159.99 after rebate
or
Asus R9 270X (139.99 after rebate)

Also one last note: I had not, originally, included software into the cost of this build and I figured I would just add it on top, so $800 was really just for components. Obviously if I can squeeze the OS in under $800 that's just icing on the cake.

If you are going with a Z board, then you can overclock memory with a locked CPU. I would look at using a set of 2400Mhz memory. It will give you about 10% more speed in computation.

Here's the data I have collected over the summer to show this.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2706290/g3258-memory-overclocking-project-reults.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2719471/4690k-memory-overclocking-project-results.html

and I'm working on a locked i3 4130 at the moment. The EVGA B2 is currently rebated to $50. I just checked. When you are putting a system together like this you need to become a 'sniper'. Monitor parts prices and pick them off as soon as the deal is good.

I don't know how your software can take advantage of a SSD. Is there an on-line community for your software? If so, ask them.

There are some manufacturers that we would not recommend, but the top-end products all good (except for the occasional dud)

JaxAxRho

Honorable
Aug 7, 2015
Won't higher speed RAM be more expensive?
My editing suite will be Adobe Premiere Elements, so I'm sure there is an online community for it. The SSD was primarily for a boot drive and my thought was to hold the editing program with all of the finished production videos being exported straight to the HDD. Is that not a normal way editing would work?
So there will be no (perhaps not "no" difference but slight enough to justify either/or) difference between the Sapphire or the Asus?

Yes, higher speed RAM will be more expensive, but only by about $25. Even a 5% speed improvement should be worth that.

The question is about how the 'work-in-progress' files are handled, if they are too big fro memory. Usually there will be some sort of 'scratch' or 'page' file swapped between memory and disk. If the disk in question is the SSD and it can handle everything, then you will get a speed advantage.

The Adobe software people can guide you there. Listen to their advice yea or nay.

The difference between 'good' cards is energy efficiency, quietness, noise, and speed. One card might be cooler, but noisier, and other faster, but hotter, If anything in particular matters to you (noise?) ask us specifically, or read the reviews. All of the major players should have thorough reviews out there. Both Sapphire and ASUS make very good products and I would recommend either.

JaxAxRho

Honorable
Aug 7, 2015
So I went through the ordering process for all parts today. Totals as follows:
NCIX:
- WD 1TB HDD = $49.99
- Asus R9-270X = $169.99 ($30 mail in rebate = $139.99)
- EVGA B2 750W = $79.99 ($30 mail in rebate = $49.99)
- Shipping = $0
Total = $299.97 ($239.97 after rebates)
NewEgg:
- Asus Optical Drive = $19.99 ($4 promo code = $15.99)
- NZXT Source 220 = $49.99
- G.Skill Ares 16GB DDR3 2400 = $96.99
- Asus Z97-E = $109.99 ($20 mail in rebate = $89.99)
- Mushkin 120GB SSD = $52.99
- 2.5" to 3.5" bracket adaptor = $5.99
- 2 Coboc 24" SATA III Cables = $1.28
- Shipping = $5.80
Total = $339.02 ($319.02 after rebate)
Amazon:
- Windows 7 = $89.98
- Shipping = $0
Total = $89.98

This makes for a grand total of $728.97 but after rebates comes to $648.97.
If I look at just the component costs, the total comes to (after rebates) $768.99 (the Xeon was $210 from MicroCenter).
I was really aiming for $750 for components, but as long as it was under $800 I would be happy. I'd say I nailed that goal. Now adding the software on top of this will be a little pricey, but I think overall this computer build is going well. I will hopefully have an update (is there a forum to show off builds/status? I would guess so, but just asking) next weekend when all the parts come in.
Thank you very much for your help thus far!

JaxAxRho

Honorable
Aug 7, 2015

In what sub forum would I post a build log?