Installed Windows 10 And Reverted back to Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustCallMeAllen

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
My computer overnight installed Windows 10. Well turns out Windows 10 doesn't work well with my wireless adapter yet so I decided to revert it back to 7 via the settings in Windowd 10. It went through the process and now my computer won't boot. I had my windows installed on an SSD, and the program files stored on my HDD. I can't boot anymore and all I want is to go back to my Windows 7 installation. Can anyone help me load my windows 7 back up? The SSD isn't showing up in my BIOS either :/

Solution
Use the Win 7 DVD along with your original authentication key. Reverting from a backup will also work. I did something similar and reverted back to my old OS by putting in the clone HDD that I had made prior to installing Win 10.

RAZER Gamer

Reputable
May 27, 2015
I have also installed Windows 10, but I'm very happy with the OS. In my opinion it's better than all the other operating systems, I came from Windows 7 and prefer Windows 10.

Anyway, that is a problem. Have you tried putting in the Windows 7 disc and using the repair tool? If not then try that.

Use the Win 7 DVD along with your original authentication key. Reverting from a backup will also work. I did something similar and reverted back to my old OS by putting in the clone HDD that I had made prior to installing Win 10.

Solution

RAZER Gamer

Reputable
May 27, 2015
Also did you backup Windows 7 before upgrading? If you didn't you were quite silly, you should always backup before upgrading to a new OS. If you did backup your old OS then you can easily restore everything without a problem.

JustCallMeAllen

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
I have a backup of all my files in case this happened, but using the repair took basically did nothing. I will attempt to use the backup to restore my pc, but I'm unsure of how that will work because it's not a system image (I couldn't create one).

That is a good backup tool. You might have used 'Files backup' which is different from 'System backup'. EaseUS Todo Backup is also a good tool (free).

Without a System backup and system image you cannot use the backup that you have now.

JustCallMeAllen

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
Okay so I have a image of both discs on my backup, now what do I need to do? I had to clean install windows 7 and then upgrade to 10 (because I fixed the buggy wireless adapter). In dire need of help right now!

Restore from the backup. You will get back the OS that you had at the time of the backup. I suggest thaqt you familiarize yourself to the backup/restore process first.

Did you "upgrade" to 10 from 7? If you did you can at least get back to the previous copy of 7.

You should have a Windows.old folder on your "c" drive if you did an upgrade as well.

Check Settings(accessible from the action center or start search for settings) -> Update and Security -> Recover -> Go back to Windows 7.

This only works for upgrades and within 30 days of the upgrade. If you do not have that you are going to be stuck with the old reinstall from scratch using your COA key from your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.