Help choosing IPS Monitor

Dan011093

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
Hello guys, hope you are having a good time.
Id like to know which is the best IPS monitor i coudl get for gaming @200$ price range (max 210).
Im looking forward for an IPS solutions (im fine with 60Hz) that gives me no (or almost) no ghosting and has no input lag.

Atm i have a 5ms flatron LG TN panel (and no i dont notice any ghosting, i may not be that sensitive to it but i think this monitor has a real good 5 ms response time).

Im open for any suggestions.

Thanks!

Dan011093

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

No, what i meant is that i am used to a 5ms TN panel, therefore i guess i am not that sensitive to ghosting! Though id like to avoid ghosting (but i seriously care about image quality)

Response time doesn't matter. Manufacturers use it to market their displays. In reality, the numbers mean nothing.

Regarding a good IPS panel. I recommend the HP 23Xi. You're going to like it, though it doesn't come with any special features other than tilt. Meaning no height, swivel and VESA mount adjustments.

^ Seems to be a bit expensive. Another alternative: http://www.amazon.com/Series-PB238Q-23-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00906GBBC

Comes with a lot of features, the 23Xi doesn't have.

Dan011093

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
Ok, but, how do i know if they show any ghosting or not?
Between theese 3 monitors, whichone would offer the best (Picture Quality, Less Ghosting and lower Input lag). Ive read abotu them but cant seem to ge to the point where i can certianly know how much of what eachone has!

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS239H-P-23-Inch-Full-HD-Monitor/dp/B008DWITHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438971902&sr=8-1&keywords=ips+gaming+monitor

http://www.amazon.com/Series-PB238Q-23-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00906GBBC

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-MX239H-23-Inch-LED-backlit-Frameless/dp/B00B1IAL7W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1438972275&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+mx239h

Easiest way of explaining this:

Response times in monitors are fast enough to not cause any ghosting. They are actually faster than required. This is because a 60 Hz display is limited to 16 ms regardless what response time is marketed (with or without BTB). A higher response time is only required with faster monitors, i.e 120 Hz and 144 Hz.

Dan011093

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
The thing is that i do not live in the US, so buying the monitor and not liking it means (super expensive return for me).
Ive read most of the questions but they dont give me much info on what im trying to get. My main concerns are ghosting input lag and quality since all i do is development and gaming. (I game a lot).

Suzuki, ive read many reviews that say some IPS panels suffer from ghosting, so, whichone of those 3 offers the least ghosting and better img quality?

Also, between a 60Hz ("gaming 1 ms or whatever") panel and a 60 Hz IPS panel, which would be better for gaming? (as ive said many times i care about those 3 aspects)

Second summary:

Response time: Ignore. Doesn't matter what so ever in modern panels, regardless what panel type.

Input lag: You need to use Google to find out what the delay is, that is because manufacturers know that consumers confuse response time for input lag. They are never going to list input lag themselves, ever. A good source: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Gaming monitors: Doesn't exist, it's just a way for the marketing teams to reach out to all the gamers. It's just a monitor, really.

Dan011093

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

Thanks Suzuki, im getting this, but now here comes my main concern Ive seen some videos (lets take away the response time number) of some IPS monitors that show some significant ghosting (which i really dislike), so, all in all, which IPS monitor (from your experience) doesnt show ghosting on First person shooters (a.k.a fast paced games).
And as a second quesiton, if it were you, would you choose IPS over TN 60Hz for gaming?

Thanks again :)

Dan011093

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

Allright, but why is this? Thats what i dont seem to get, atm i have a TN panel (from 2009) that doesnt show any ghosting, though i dont like the quality of the color atm. Most people say IPS will just look better and i wont notice ghosting. Some others say i will.

I LOVE playing First person shooters, but i must admit im amazingly fine with 60FPS, thats why im not sure why would i dislike a IPS panel.

Can you point me to the review you watched, comparing these two panel types?

I'm asking because no matter how you look at it. Response time is not accurate, because it's measured in Grey to Grey, and not Black to White to Black, or other colors to give us something more accurate to look at instead. Lower numbers sell, that's it. Fact is, even "1 ms" monitors 'ghost', that is because it's an LCD. It's not an OLED, Plasma, or CRT.

Dan011093

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd8uIXyW1SA
Thatone is for the mx239h (the one i was considering not so long ago)
(some people say the guy had motion blur on lol)
The thing is that, a LOT fo people say thers no ghsoting on that screen, some others claim there is a noticeable ghosting.
(In the input lag database that monitor scored 9ms (lowest score)).

(Also, could you answer my question about your opinion on IPS or TN)

:D

This usually turns into a heated debate. But why do you think professional players prefer faster monitors? That is because of the lower response time. A faster monitor actually take advantage of a low response time. 60 Hz = 16.67 lowest, 144 Hz = 6.9 lowest. It all speaks for itself. Forget all the pros out there, they are being sponsored, and are being paid for saying stupid things. Trust those that see through all their BS, my best advice.

Dan011093

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

Ok Suzuki, so, all in all, for gaming, between those 3 ASUS monitors, whichone do you think would fit better for my needs? Do you honestly think if im ATM with a 60HZ TN Panel,, ill be fine with any of those 3 ASUS monitors Ghosting and input lag wise?
Also, does IPS offer better image quality as everyone says?

Thanks for your help this far, youve been really nice!