Ultra HD Blu Rays

willz_13

Distinguished
May 16, 2013
Ultra HD Blu Rays are coming soon and was wondering if people have a substantial blu ray collection aer you going to re buy everything in ultra like many did with dvd to blu ray ?

that would be a waste of money, generally speaking. it would be silly to pay top dollar to repurchase movies you already owned and paid top dollar for.

of the people i know, including myself with a rather large collection of at least 700+ titles, we have a mix of both bluerays and dvds and avoid buying the same title twice.

another thing to ponder is if there is any benefit. unless the movie itself was recorded in higher than 1080p format, then there would be no benefit to remastering it to a higher resolution (upscaling which is free can do this). if however the movie was recorded at 4k then there could certainly be improvement to be had by getting the new format - although is it really worth the price?

my prediction would be that people will have a mix of both formats of blueray along with dvd. some might repurchase a few favorite movies in ultra-hd if they were originally recorded at higher than 1080p but given prices i doubt anyone will completely swap over (and doubt that all movies will be offered in ultra-hd since many will not qualify due to having low resolution)