Icon locked on desktop; can't remove it (Microsoft Office Outlook)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesca

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
I was messing around with folders and stuff in Windows 10, now this Microsoft Office Outlook icon is stuck on my desktop all of a sudden and there is no way to get rid of it.
-Doesn't provide a delete option
-Selecting it and pressing the delete key nor shift+delete works
-Doesn't show up in explorer when you navigate to Desktop folder
-Doesn't appear in search results
-Even trying to open it does nothing
-Is visible when using the Unlocker program, but still no option to delete. Clicking 'OK' just closes Unlocker.

Wasn't really installing anything when I noticed it, and malwarebytes found nothing, so I'm pretty sure it's not a virus or anything.

XmRHwmi.jpg

yxDezj0.jpg

Update:
-Someone told me to "hold shift, right click empty area on desktop, click open command window here in the right click menu, type dir & hit enter, type del "name"" but it didn't show up there either.

-I was asked if I ever had Office 2007 or how old my machine is, but the answer is no and I built this desktop in 2011, just last week did a fresh install of Windows 10 Home. Also, this just appeared today; never before.

-Was told its a registry entry, not a file, and to to look for it in regedit [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ but it's not there

-Told to delete {00020D75-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\ but it is also not there.

The only thing is that when I search for "Microsoft Office Outlook" in regedit, I get this file:

A4FYpiW.jpg

Deleted it and nothing happens. Reappears when you restart the computer.

I tried booting into safe mode as well as removing the latest windows update that occurred on the same day, but neither helped me.

Solution
Hello,

Kindly try the following process;

1. Boot in safe mode and try deleting the icon again.

2. Go to the desktop folder/s and try deleting from there. The typical path is C:\Users\UserName\Desktop or C:\Users\Public\Desktop.

3. Open an elevated command prompt and:

Use the del command to delete files: del “Path of File” >> Example: c:\users\JohnDoe\Desktop\text.txt

Use the RMDIR or RD command to delete folders: rd /s /q “Path of Folder”

/S : Delete all files and subfolders in addition to the folder itself. Use this to remove an entire folder tree.
/Q : Quiet – do not display Y/N confirmation.

4. Open Regedit and navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
Double click...

Slashgeek

Admirable
Hello,

Kindly try the following process;

1. Boot in safe mode and try deleting the icon again.

2. Go to the desktop folder/s and try deleting from there. The typical path is C:\Users\UserName\Desktop or C:\Users\Public\Desktop.

3. Open an elevated command prompt and:

Use the del command to delete files: del “Path of File” >> Example: c:\users\JohnDoe\Desktop\text.txt

Use the RMDIR or RD command to delete folders: rd /s /q “Path of Folder”

/S : Delete all files and subfolders in addition to the folder itself. Use this to remove an entire folder tree.
/Q : Quiet – do not display Y/N confirmation.

4. Open Regedit and navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
Double click on NameSpace and check inside each of the GUID folders. If you are able to identify the icon by name, delete it. This is especially useful for deleting some un-deletable system icons.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.