850W PSU which wont BURN my PC?

husaintaherali

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
So i am Planning to buy a PSU of 850w. i was Gonna go for Seasonic X-850 but on newegg & some other sites Customers Complained That either after few Months or 2 or more years it suddenly burn their components when it died. now i am confused to buy it or any other psu like coolermaster silentpro2 850.

i want to know any other good psu which wont burn my components or their power sockets even if it dies. i will be using the new psu for another 6 years atleast.

husaintaherali

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
I forgot to mention i am from india. That psu isnt available in my country. Seasonic corsair coolermaster are available.

And i want a psu that even if it blows up it wont affect any other components.

RM 750 is Chicony, tier 3.
RM 850 is CWT, tier 2.

husaintaherali

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
But if it ever dies or burns up or blows up it wont burn or damage other components in my pc? Especially my gpu 780 ti and hdd

Where did you read that Seasonic PSUs blow up and and damage other components? It can happen with almost any PSU, but you first need to understand how the PSU blew up. As an example, lightning can blow a PSU and other components; that isn't the PSU's fault if it wasn't protected. You won't find a single PSU that meets your stringent requirements to never fail, even if you pay a huge amount of money.

Tomba_Dude

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Oh wow a bit paranoid guy, sorry, had to be said... With every PSU there is a risk it will blow up and fry other components too. Seasonic powersupplies are the best you can get. XFX is basically seasonic too but a lower price but if you can't get your hands on a XFX, go with the seasonic one.

For what are you using your computer to? UPS won't be nececcary as far as you are not doing something really important with your computer. And keep in mind, any surge protector can't handle the huge overvoltage caused by a lightning. They are meant to protect electronics from regular power grid's voltage spikes. So to be sure unplug everything when thunder comes.

Most APC UPS are available in India (specific Indian models). The rather expensive APC Smart-UPS is very good, but you can also find other excellent pure sine wave UPS in India (check for CyberPower and local manufacturers if you trust them). You're buying a 850W PSU; but what will the maximum load be? Are you buying an 850W unit just to play it safe? The maximum load and runtime determine your UPS power requirements, not the PSU's power rating. If you really need an 850W PSU, then you need a 1500VA (900W) UPS.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

UPS is only temporary and 'dirty' power so that unsaved data can be saved. It does nothing and does not claim to protect hardware. Its output can be so dirty because all PSUs are required (by ATX standards and others) to have more robust protection.

Those standards also require a PSU to have circuits so that the PSU cannot damage any other hardware. And so that other hardware cannot damaged the PSU. For example, short all PSU outputs together and turn on the PSU. Shorting all outputs together will not damage any properly designed PSU. Intel's specifications even said how thick that shorting wire must be - because that is a standard test that all properly designed PSUs meet.

Normal is for a PSU to completely fail (even have an internal part explode) and never damage any other computer part. But that means its numeric specs claim to include all required ATX functions. They must provide those numbers in writing. Otherwise suspect the worst.

Hearsay, salesmen, and advertising can lie. That is legal. Only items that matters is numbers in its numeric specifications. If that supply does not come with a long list of numeric specs, then you have no reason to believe it contains required functions such as overvoltage protection.

Now, is your computer so hot that it also toasts bread? Why are you considering a power supply so massively oversized? Many because the naive believe more watts means better quality. Another myth widely promoted because so many only learn from advertising and subjective magazine articles. Again, useful replies also provide numbers and say why each number is relevant.

If the PSU contains the many functions required in all ATX computers, then it cannot and will not damage other parts.

If you think a UPS is necessary for an 850 watt PSU, then that UPS must be rated well above 1000 watts. Learn how that device (that does not claim hardware protection) gets expensive. Your computer is probably consuming aroun d 1000 watts most of the time and maybe as much as 350 watts is short peaks. Additional numbers that contradict popular hearsay.

weston, you post is confusing and saying that a system consumes 1000 watts most of the time with 350 watt short peaks just doesn't make sense. A UPS has to be rated for peak system utilization, not necessarily for the PSU's rating as it may only be used at 30% of its full capacity.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009
Please read what was posted. If the system needs an 850 watt PSU, then the UPS must be well over 1000 watts. Reality - most computers never consume more than 350 watts in short peaks. But a majority (educated only by hearsay) somehow think a large wattage PSU is required. If true, then (as was posted previously) the UPS must be well over 1000 watts.

Take notice of wattage in computer systems designed by engineers (ie HP, Dell, Lenovo). Engineered systems use smaller supplies.

This is the sentence I was referring to: "Your computer is probably consuming aroun d 1000 watts most of the time and maybe as much as 350 watts is short peaks." That sentence doesn't make sense as a system can't consume 1000 watts most of the time with peaks of 350 watts.

The OP never said the PSU had to be 850W; he wants to buy an 850W PSU. I have a 650W PSU in my own system that doesn't draw much more than 200W at peak, but it's always silent.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009
Correction. Your computer is probably consuming around 100 watts - not a 1000. Sorry for the mistype.

TRENDING THREADS