Alienware M17x R5 to BenQ xl2420z 144hz cable

TomFromDotCom

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
Hi, Tom's Hardware forum! I am new to this forum, and I would like to ask if I could get a cable that would allow me to enable 144hz mode on my new monitor, BenQ xl2420z. I would like to hook it up to my Alienware M17x R5 laptop, and I realise that my laptop has one Mini Displayport 1.2 and that the monitor has a Displayport. So can anyone link me a cable that can allow mini displayport to displayport and also get 1080p@144hz? I don't care about the price just link me a cable that can hook up my laptop mini displayport to the monitor displayport. Thank you so much, it will be appreciated if anyone could help me.

Solution

Any Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. DisplayPort supports 1080p 144Hz, so just connect it via DisplayPort and it...

Any Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. DisplayPort supports 1080p 144Hz, so just connect it via DisplayPort and it will work. You don't need any special kind of cable.

Solution

TomFromDotCom

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
Awesome! So just to clarify, will this cable work? I'm going to plug this in my Alienware M17x laptop since it has a mini display 1.2 slot. I'm asking this because some people say that thunderbolt doesn't work so this isn't thunderbolt but will it work?

http://www.amazon.ca/Accell-B143B-007J-UltraAV-DisplayPort-6-6-Feet/dp/B00A7R9I22

This will be my last question, if it works then I'm set for my BenQ xl2420z

Also, is my GPU strong enough to handle one 144hz 1ms gaming monitor? The GPU is Nvidia Geforce GTX 770m and I have 16GB ram.

Yes, that will work. You won't hit 144fps at max settings in most games so you may have to turn down settings to medium or something like that. Depends on the game.