I need help choosing a monitor that will be easy on the eyes and good for long usage with occasional gaming.

SigmaOctantis

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
I currently have an HP LE2201w monitor and it's very pleasant on the eyes, but I've been wanting to upgrade my computer and I've also been looking to play games on it, but newer monitors only seem to have HDMI or DVI or both. My current monitor only accepts VGA input and nothing else. Also, my current monitor does not have LED back lighting and I've heard that LED back lighting can cause eye strain.

I use the computer for about 8 hours a day and something that won't destroy my eyes is needed. I'm looking for a monitor that is at least 22 inches (viewable) and at most 24 inches. I also do not want any glossy screen as my monitor has to face a window. A glossy frame is acceptable, but not preferred. I'm actually quite picky with the glossy thing. I really don't like it. Also, I would like a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

I need something that won't die on me from heavy usage. I've been using my current monitor for 5 years and very long hours and it's still going strong. I mention this specifically because I've read reviews of people saying their monitors started to die after a few months or years.

Also, my budget would only allow monitors up to $200.

Can anyone help me with finding what I need?

The Dell P2314H might be a good choice. W-LEDs have an unbalanced color spectrum with a much stronger output in the blue frequencies, which can contribute to eye-strain. It'll be difficult to find a modern monitor without an LED backlight, but you can also use f.lux to reduce eyestrain, and the P2314H also has color balance adjustment which you can use to reduce the blue spectrum, as well as color presets which basically do that for you.