Installed 10 and it worked fine...now can't log on. Says wrong password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlugJones

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Upgraded from 8.1 to 10. Went smooth. Put computer to sleep for a day, now it refuses to take the absolutely correct password for my Microsoft account. I type it and reveal it and its 100% correct. It still says "that password is incorrect. Make sure you are using the password for your Microsoft account". I then jump on another pc, log in to that very same MS account using that exact password.

I emailed MS and they replied back that I emailed the password team or some crap and gave me a link to a generic FAQ about windows 10. Which did no good for me. Any idea why windows 10 refuses to log me in with very much the correct password they are asking for? Obviously it seems it's an F up that has occurred with my copy of windows 10 , or something.

Thanks for any help!

UPDATE- Thanks for the suggestions guys, but unfortunately, none worked. I can verify it is asking for my "Microsoft Account" password. I can then go on another computer, use the same email it shows on the windows 10 logon screen, with the same password, and can log in to the account fine. Yet it lies and tells me im entering the wrong password on the Win 10 logon. I check the password by clicking the "password reveal" button, and everything it typed correct. I am at a loss. IT does the same whether I have the computer online, or offline.

UPDATE UPDATE= Ok, this is weird. I logged in to the windows account for the locked PC on my good rig. I logged in fine and checked the "recent activity". IT SAYS I SUCCESSFULLY LOGGED IN EVERY TIME I TYPED THE PASSWORD IN ON THE LOCKED COMPUTER. So, the system on their end thinks im logging in fine with the password on this locked computer, but the computer itself says its the wrong password. What the hell does on do about that!?

"Successful sign-in (3 events) 8/26/2015 10:49 PM - 11:13 PM United States
Successful sign-in 8/26/2015 11:13 PM United States
Successful sign-in 8/26/2015 10:51 PM United States
Successful sign-in 8/26/2015 10:49 PM United States"

LAST UPDATE-6/18/16- I resolved it by reinstalling Windows 10 again on the computer not long after the last update above this one. That's the only way I got around it. I am guessing there is another way around it, but I did not have the patience. Since then, I haven't had an issue. Not sure what it was doing.

Samat

Distinguished
Check from the lower right corner on the login screen that the keyboard is set to correct localized version (if you have a keyboard with other than en_US key set). If you you have a localized keyboard with special characters, but install then en_US/en_UK version of Windows it seems to default the keyboard to that language and it can have a different layout for special characters.

cosmoji

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
so, maybe you've run in to what i did. i upgraded from 8, where i used my account name and password. this was still true with 10 at first. then i was playing around, and clicked on note and had to login with my microsoft account. next time i had to log in to the computer, it wasnt taking my password! thats when i realized it wasnt showing my username on the login screen, but my email that my microsoft account is tied to. my microsoft account password was now what i had to use. after logging in i then went in to settings and changed it back. are you seeing your associated email as the username when you try to login? it may need that password.

Slimlancaster

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
Use the on screen keyboard in the ease of use menu to log in with ur password. I'm assuming it's an issue with the keyboard drivers because some of my buttons are remapped.. I have a 4 in my password but found out the 3 and the 4 are now my volume buttons.

johnb1

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

johnb1

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
I had the same problem and even changed the password several times without helping the problem. Finally, while trying unsuccessfully to remove the cmos battery and change the default bios password, I broke the sender for the wireless keyboard. I plugged another keyboard in and tried the password. It worked immediately. All I can think is that windows 10 (or my wife) managed to turn the shift lock on (not caps lock as the computer seems able to identify that).

EmpressRose

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

Funny. Because inhad the same issie bringin my windows 8.1 laptop out of sleep mode. My wifi is on. Network is fine. It keeps telling me password is wrong. So I press and hold down the power button and hard turn it off. Then turn it on, it brings me to th e logon screen, I enter the same PW I JUST entered and VOILA! I'm in. Wtheck is going on???

lathans

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
I too had the same problem. I was unable to log into my Windows 10 laptop because it rejected my valid password.

I confirmed the password by logging into my Microsoft account using a browser on another computer. The laptop is online, the password was not recently changed, and the Windows 10 installation was not an upgrade. I do not remember if I use shutdown or sleep the last time I used it.

I was able to log in to the laptop this way:

1. On the logon screen I clicked on "Other user"
2. I clicked on "Sign-in options" and "Microsoft account".
3. I typed in the same Microsoft account e-mail address and the same password.
4. It now allowed me to log on without any problems.
5. After rebooting I was able to log in just by typing my password as usual.

--
Best regards
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS