Discussion: Intel Skylake performance gains from Haswell detailed

The new Intel Skylake architecture brings about modest performance gains over the previous-generation Haswell architecture. It has more headroom for overclocking on the enthusiast i7-6700K chip compared to the i7-4790K. It also supports DDR4 memory out of the box. Full details from arstechnica below.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-reviewed/

It will be interesting to see if the 1.4v vcore is considered 'safe' for the skylake design since it was basically the uppermost limits of 'safe' with haswell/d.c. and the previous 4790k only had to push 1.3v to get to a 4.7 or so overclock. The igpu is a bit of a letdown after such good results from broadwell. Ddr4 helps in the memory intensive applications.

They never mentioned if they used an aftermarket cooler to overclock the i7 6700k or did they use the stock cooler. If the stock cooler it would be a bit more impressive but they kind of left that part out. Most all intel chips since sandy bridge needed aftermarket coolers to overclock (i5 or i7), had this been attainable on the stock cooler you'd think they would have pointed that out specifically.

In terms of overclocking performance, for one the 6700k came with a much lower turbo boost (4.2 instead of 4.4ghz) so if it's capable of reaching the same frequency as the 4790k of course it appears to overclock 'more' compared to stock. They also kind of cherry picked their performance by pointing out how the 6700k performed 20% better overclocked than the 4790k stock. Kind of a derp statement and a worthless comparison. Why not compare stock to stock and oc'd to oc'd. I guess that makes the 4790k look like a monster when overclocked vs its predecessor, the 4770k at stock.