Just Upgraded to Win 10 Thinking about getting an SSD - Will I be ok to fresh install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxCJH123xX

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
So I heard that Windows 10 works off of your Hardware and that if it changes this makes your licence invalid, basically my question is: Can I upgrade to an SSD with a clean install of Windows 10 and this use my Windows 10 licence or will adding the SSD to my hardware invalidate it? Also do I need to find a Windows 10 for my current installation to reinstall or can I just reinstall and It picks it up on MS's End?

Adamw0611

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012
Adding the SSD should be fine, the Windows 10 key is written in UEFI, so the only change that should hurt it is a motherboard upgrade. I've even had luck re-using CD keys in the past with a motherboard upgrade, just had to call Microsoft phone activation and it worked.

XxCJH123xX

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 so would that still apply?

As long as the same motherboard is used it should re-activate. During the upgrade process did you get an upgrade key? If so enter that key when prompted, otherwise you might have to call MS support. Thinking about this it occurs to me that this is a new OS and the way things like this will shake out isn't clear yet but MS has stated that a fresh install is allowed after the upgrade for no cost on the same system (i.e., motherboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS