Dell UltraSharp U3415W vs Acer XB280HK

davisp2012

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Hello all,

I am purchasing a 980 TI and I'm looking to upgrade my monitors. I currently have two 1080p monitors that I'll likely keep as secondary monitors, but I'm looking for something that makes use of the 980 TI. I play a large variety of games, and regularly watch streams and movies.

I kind of narrowed it down to two, but I'm open to suggestions. Those are:
Dell UltraSharp 34-Inch Curved Monitor
Acer 28-Inch UHD 4k2k G-Sync Monitor

My questions are:
Which do you think is more worth as a primary monitor?
Are the extra 6 inches and curved shape of the Dell monitor more important than the G-sync and higher resolution with the Acer?
Or, am I missing another monitor that trumps them both?

My budget is at most $850.

Thanks!

Solution
A single 980 Ti is somewhat insufficient for 4K gaming - you would need to sacrifice a lot of quality settings to play the newest games at decent framerates.

I think you would be better off with a WQHD monitor at this point. The Acer XB270HU is a great WQHD IPS monitor with Gsync support that costs about $750-800, depending on where and when you buy it.

The dell ultrawide is an OK choice, but personally I think G-sync and high refresh rate support is much more important than 21:9 resolution. The XB270HU is even cheaper, to boot.

aznricepuff

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
A single 980 Ti is somewhat insufficient for 4K gaming - you would need to sacrifice a lot of quality settings to play the newest games at decent framerates.

I think you would be better off with a WQHD monitor at this point. The Acer XB270HU is a great WQHD IPS monitor with Gsync support that costs about $750-800, depending on where and when you buy it.

The dell ultrawide is an OK choice, but personally I think G-sync and high refresh rate support is much more important than 21:9 resolution. The XB270HU is even cheaper, to boot.

Solution