Unknown Account: Ways to Remove

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmsiegel

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
I've recently noticed a user account on my machine that I did not create. I'm wondering if this is Malware of some kind, and if anyone has an idea of how to get rid of it. I don't know if it is related to Windows 10 or not, but that's what I'm using. Recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro. I've tried deleting the account under Computer Management --> Local Users and Groups, but it just keeps coming back. I've tried disabling the account and it re-enables itself. It's not an Admin, and I haven't noticed anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't doing something. Luckily, it's on my laptop, which I don't use all that often. I've tried Malwarebytes Chameleon, which didn't find anything. I've tried Malewarebytes Anti-Rootkit, and that didn't find anything. And I've tried ESET Online Scanner, which didn't find anything. I'm running out of ideas. I guess I could just format and start over, but I don't really want to do that.
The name of the account is gmapskfmnrg, if that helps anything.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Hello,

You may have to create another Admin account to be able to remove your unknown account, to summarize you will have to;

- Enable the built-in Administrator account or create a new administrator user.
- Convert the first administrator account that you created during the Windows 10 installation to the local account. (If applicable)
- Sign-in to Windows 10 using the built-in Administrator or additionally created administrator account.
- Remove the first administrator account.

If you want to get the above task done, you must follow the steps given below:

- Log on to Windows 10 using the manually created administrator account.
- On the start screen type CMD.
- From the search results, right-click Command Prompt.
- From the context...

Pearlmaster

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Hello,

You may have to create another Admin account to be able to remove your unknown account, to summarize you will have to;

- Enable the built-in Administrator account or create a new administrator user.
- Convert the first administrator account that you created during the Windows 10 installation to the local account. (If applicable)
- Sign-in to Windows 10 using the built-in Administrator or additionally created administrator account.
- Remove the first administrator account.

If you want to get the above task done, you must follow the steps given below:

- Log on to Windows 10 using the manually created administrator account.
- On the start screen type CMD.
- From the search results, right-click Command Prompt.
- From the context menu, click Run as administrator.
- Click Yes for confirmation when prompted by User Account Control.
- On Administrator: Command Prompt type the " net user administrator /active:yes " command, and press Enter.
- Close the Administrator: Command Prompt window.
- Sign out, and then sign back in to the built-in Administrator account.

- Click on Start, type in "Settings", select the first result.
- Click on "Accounts"
They are 2 ways you can remove your unknown account, you can either;
- Click on "Manage my Microsoft account" as it will lead you to the website of Microsoft Account configuration https://account.microsoft.com/about which allows you to manage any microsoft accounts that have been created on your PC and you may attempt to delete from here.

OR

- Click on "Family & other users"
Then look for your unknown account and click on "Remove" or "Delete"

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.