Bluetooth Driver on Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan602

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
I have been having a problem getting a Bluetooth driver to work properly on Windows 10.

Some background:
My computer is an Acer Aspire v3-571g laptop that originally shipped with Windows 8. Since then, I had upgraded to 8.1, but a catastrophic hard drive failure happened, so I replaced the drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 on the machine. I was able to get drivers working on 7 just fine.

Now that Windows 10 has rolled around, I thought I might as well try to upgrade. Everything works great, except when I try to connect my Bluetooth headset I get a blue screen with the message: "driver irql not less or equal". I have gone to the Acer website and downloaded the drivers for Windows 8.1 for my machine because Microsoft says they should be compatible with Windows 10 (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/Dn941239%28v=VS.85%29.aspx), but I get the same BSOD.

So my question is: Am I just out of luck since Acer won't be releasing a driver for 10? If not, which driver would you download from Acer and how would you go about installing it and getting it work? (I've been a bit confused with compatibility mode)

Something that seems strange to me is that I when I install the Atheros Bluetooth Suite, it does not appear on the drivers list. I just have generic-named Bluetooth drivers... http://i.imgur.com/AH7XlKy.png

This wouldn't be such an issue, but with my headphone jack broken, Bluetooth is my only option for headphone audio. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
I think you misinterpreted that Microsoft page you linked. That is an MSDN page and that information is for developers; it is not saying that 8.1 drivers will be compatible on Windows 10, but that developers can build Windows 10 drivers using older 8.1 binaries (at least, that is how I'm understanding it). Certain 8.1 drivers will work on Windows 10, but not all of them, and the ones that do are often only working on a limited basis.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
I think you misinterpreted that Microsoft page you linked. That is an MSDN page and that information is for developers; it is not saying that 8.1 drivers will be compatible on Windows 10, but that developers can build Windows 10 drivers using older 8.1 binaries (at least, that is how I'm understanding it). Certain 8.1 drivers will work on Windows 10, but not all of them, and the ones that do are often only working on a limited basis.

Solution

evan602

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
Thanks for your response. I guess I didn't look too far into that specific page.

Either way, I ended up fixing the problem myself. For anyone else with this problem:
Because Acer was not supporting Windows 10 drivers for my specific model, I downloaded a Windows 10 driver for a newer version of my PC (Aspire v3-572g instead of v3-571g). Then just go to Update device drivers on the control panel, and browse for updates in the extracted folder. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.