3x monitors will not work after win 10 upgrade.

rossc35

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
I'm at wits end with this now, if I had a strong enough foot I'd be tempted to drop kick it off the balcony!

My machine was running Win7 pro 64, and three monitors on a R9 280. (1 via DVI, 1 via HDMI and 1 via mini display port).

I upgraded to win 10 and AMD catalyst control center 15.7.1 and since that point, whenever I try to plug in more than two monitors and boot the computer it gets to the win10 splash screen then the monitors say "out of range".
(I'm guessing this refers to the refresh rate?)
With two monitors plugged in it seems to boot and run fine. If you plug a third monitor in while the machine is running, it recognizes it but only allows you to use any combination of two monitors (similar to what happens when you plug three monitors into a card that only supports two)

If you restart the graphics driver with three monitors plugged up same thing happens, 'out of range' is displayed.

A couple weeks ago whilst still running win7, I updated to the latest driver from the previous version and ended up rolling it back because of these same issues, and I couldn't be bothered wasting time trying to figure it out.. Only difference is, this time with win 10 I'm forced to use the latest driver! (or am I??)

I have also tried booting into safe mode, using Display Driver uninstaller and then reinstalling CCC fresh, to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

rossc35

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
One more thing to note,
CCC says the max supported refresh rate is 75hz. This is only true for these monitors at 720p.
Their max resolution is 1600x1050 @ 60hz.