4k G-Sync with GTX 980?

Coconutshell

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
Is it a waste to get any 4k monitor with a GTX 980? Obviously it isn't going to max out every game, but I figure with a few settings turned down and g-sync, it could be a pretty smooth experience. Am I wrong about that? Specifically the XB280HK, of course. I'm also considering the XB270HU (144Hz 1440p IPS g-sync) but it just went up $50 in price, making it a full $100 more. Right now I'm using a 60Hz 1440p ips screen but I'm looking to get something with g-sync and make that my secondary monitor. Any opinion/input is appreciated.

Solution
With a second 980 4K becomes a viable option - for games with decent SLI scaling. I have 2 980s myself and it seems that SLI support has been sub-par the past year or so - SLI was completely broken for Shadow of Mordor on launch (though after a few patches it now has excellent scaling), I had negative scaling in advanced warfare and I quit playing before it was ever fixed (if it was fixed at all), Far Cry 4 had all kinds of issues with SLI (I'm pretty sure SMAA+SLI is still broken), and Witcher 3 has really poor scaling (less than 50%).

I personally would stick would 1440p. At least then if SLI scales horribly or is broken it just means I play at 50-60 fps instead of 80+; not ideal but in no way is it limiting. With 4k, you...

aznricepuff

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
I personally would not want to game at 4k with just a single 980. With older games it may be fine, but the pattern with all new AAA releases in the past year or so is that you need at least the power of a Fury X/980 Ti to maintain 40 fps at 4k on medium, not even ultra, settings.

Gsync can help somewhat, but once you dip below 40fps, you are going to notice the low framerate even with Gsync. I also don't think aggressively lowering graphics settings to preserve framerate at 4k is a good tradeoff. I mean, what's the point of looking at a crystal clear image of blocky shadows, bad lighting, and low-res textures from over-aggressive LOD?

Coconutshell

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015

Thanks for the answer. What would be your opinion if I were to get a second 980? Would 144Hz 1440p still be better? I realize I'm probably delving deep into the realm of personal preference, but I'd still like to hear some opinions.

aznricepuff

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
With a second 980 4K becomes a viable option - for games with decent SLI scaling. I have 2 980s myself and it seems that SLI support has been sub-par the past year or so - SLI was completely broken for Shadow of Mordor on launch (though after a few patches it now has excellent scaling), I had negative scaling in advanced warfare and I quit playing before it was ever fixed (if it was fixed at all), Far Cry 4 had all kinds of issues with SLI (I'm pretty sure SMAA+SLI is still broken), and Witcher 3 has really poor scaling (less than 50%).

I personally would stick would 1440p. At least then if SLI scales horribly or is broken it just means I play at 50-60 fps instead of 80+; not ideal but in no way is it limiting. With 4k, you really need that 70%+ SLI scaling to get to playable framerates at decent settings, so it hurts when you find out a game does not play nicely with SLI. Plus I like the extra smoothness with framerates above 60. Once you get up to 120+ it becomes superfluous except maybe for competitive shooters, but I definitely can appreciate the difference between 60 and 90.

Solution