How to go back to 8.1 from Windows 10? (No recovery option)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelle Barajas

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I've searched around the internet for a bit and I know the easiest way is to go to Settings>Update&Security>Recovery>Go Back to Windows 8.1

but... I don't have that option. I only see "Reset this PC" and "Advanced Startup". I only just got Windows 10 on August 1st so I haven't passed the 30 days yet. Also, I still have the Windows.old on the C drive. I'm not sure what to do here as I can't find much about this issue.
I'm not sure if I do want to go back to 8.1 yet, but I want to make sure that I know how before the 30 days are up, as I have been experiencing a few headaches so far with the OS.

- It took nearly a week to get my display driver to work properly.. and that was only after I had given up on it. I assume that Microsoft sent out some sort of silent, ninja fix.

- My taskbar stops working at least once a day, can't click on anything.

- Microsoft Edge crashes after being open for not very long at all (10 minutes? ..or sooner if I have 2 tabs open.)

- Unable to install CCleaner as it hangs at about the 50% mark of unpacking.

There are more issues with getting games to start up, but those aren't as important. Anyway, any help with my Recovery issue would be greatly appreciated.. or even help with the issues I'm experiencing in Windows 10!

Michelle Barajas

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I thought that as I still had the Windows.old files I would still be able to go back. Even so, I've decided to stick it out. I realized that I need to completely turn off Windows Defender in order to download and install anything. Adding exclusions doesn't seem to work. Still having issues with a few things but every day the OS seems to run better and better. Not having issues with the taskbar anymore at least. Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.