If I upgrade my windows 7 (it's a OEM edition) to a windows 10 version would prod.key still work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quasiMOB

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
For example, If I upgrade my windows 7 (it's a OEM edition) to a windows 10 version for free, then my cpu or motherboard dies and I replace it with a new one, would I be able to still activate my windows again using the same windows 7 product key or would I be forced to buy a new windows 10 product key ?

Solution
Upgrading from 7 to 10 does not change the OEM status. It is indeed licensed to that original motherboard.

Now...in the case of an actual broken motherboard, I don't think I've seen or read of an instance where MS does not allow that license to be used on the new board.

USAFRet

Titan
Upgrading from 7 to 10 does not change the OEM status. It is indeed licensed to that original motherboard.

Now...in the case of an actual broken motherboard, I don't think I've seen or read of an instance where MS does not allow that license to be used on the new board.

Solution

quasiMOB

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

Well, i just bought a new motherboard , the previous one died, and was still able to reinstall my windows 7 oem using the disk and product key and the whole process, etc. But what if i upgrade to the free windows 10 offer, then my motherboard fries again in a few months lets say, and i get a new one. Would I be able to use the same product key and still have windows 10 next time i boot up or would i have to revert back to window 7?

USAFRet

Titan

Probably. This is still new territory.
Microsoft has said both yes and no. Until we get some actual reports from people swapping motherboards...all is unknown.

But for an actual broken motherboard and replacement, I can't see them disallowing reuse of that license key, no matter what type of license it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.