[Gaming] Will Directx 12 make AMD A - 10 series a better option over FX series?

bizqnation

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
With DirectX 12 coming in a few months i was wondering if the APU series of AMD will become a much better choice over the FX series, since the APU series do come with an integrated GPU and DirectX 12 will have multi-GPU support, is this feature enough for the APU series to be a much better choice for gaming?

Of course i know it will depend on the picks, but i would like to focus on the top tier of each APU and FX series, considering that you have the same GPU for both. For example, with a GTX 970 or a 'less supported' DX12 GPU like the GTX 660.

fzacek

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
Definitely not. AMD's APUs have much weaker processors than the FX series, and no amount of software will change that.

No. multi adapter need specifically game developer to use it in their games. Just because the game use DX12 api then the game will be multi gpu aware. In general game developer have less interest to deal with multi gpu setup because it is feature that exclusive to pc only. Even game engines moving away from multi gpu despite there is a lot of effort so the game engine to take advantage more cpu core.

Other than that the FX series simply have better cpu performance than those APU.

JkB_SlH

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
Theoretically ,DirectX 12 have 2 ways to improve performance.
1) It will increase performance as more cores/threads you'll have.
In this case, A-10 series is quad core cpu , so won't have much increase , BUT...
2) dual GPU wise, it might give you some decent FPS increase, as it should use both GPUs in your system regardless of its manufacturer and model.(at least as per what has been already announced)

^
2) dx12 or not i still think the program need sli/cf profiles to take advantage of multi gpu. Is there any life demo of Dx12 showing discrete gpu working together without the need of profiles? So far even with multi adapter MS specifically mention that tje featre need to be implemented by developer in their games and not something that will come automatically with DX12

ccampy

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
By the time most games start to support these fearures both and current apus and there fx CPUs with be fairly obsolete for gaming there not brilliant now for higher end games

JkB_SlH

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015

Yes, I've red about it once , that it will even provide the developers the option to take advantage of the intel HD integrated GPU alongside the external GPU.

And SLI/CrossFire terms will be eliminated as the limitation of AMD/nvidia CFX/SLI will be irrelevant.

So is there actual data can prove that SLI and CF profiles are no longer needed with DX12? Is it game developer dependent? So far i only know about making igpu working with discrete gpu (this info is coming directly from MS themselves). Mixing gpu or using multi gpu without CF/SLI profiles i never heard MS ever talk about that. Only speculation from other articles.

JkB_SlH

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
http://wccftech.com/microsoft-confirms-directx-12-amd-nvidia-multigpu-configurations/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/325969-directx12-amd-and-nvidia-multi-gpu-configurations-confirmed/

Even that is not very clear. Also the guy from linus tech mention DX12 will use SFR with perfect scaling when the support from MS only say it will work. Did he really know what he talking about or simply just talk any rumor he heard. Because the two term 'SFR' and 'perfect scaling' doesn't mix together. CIV BE using SFR under Mantle is one of the evidence.

Also with DX12 some people talking about there is no longer need for nvidia or AMD to release CF profiles. Looking at mantle i said that probably true. BUT instead of nvidia or AMD the decision to support multi gpu was handed to game developer instead. Means it is up to developer to implement multi gpu support or not. Is it good or is it bad? Just take one example from what happen with Mantle: Sniper Elite 3. Dx11 version of the game did have support for crossfire from AMD. But for the Mantle version developer decided not to. The only thing i disagree probably the notion about DX12 will remove all the hassle of multi gpu setup. Latency will still be there. SFR while can reduce the latency scaling was terrible as shown by CIV BE. Even game developer admit the poor scaling of SFR but they decided to go with it anyway because they believe strategy games like CIV does not need high frame rates like competitive FPS games.