Windows 10 install, wont see my new SSD? Please help !

Colosseus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Hello !

So last night, i was helping a friend of mine, that bought a new laptop. It had a windows 8.1 install on it, and unfortunatly a slow HDD. So we decided to go, and buy an SSD upgrade for him, to install into his new laptop, later on.
After reading a few things online, we saw, that we couldnt do a clean Windows 10 install, untill the "old hdd"´s windows 8.1 install, had taken advantage of the free upgrade, to windows 10 offer. Something about the license that was installed into the bios of the motherboard (they apparently store the license on the friggin motherboards now?), had to be upgraded to a windows 10 license, before we could use that cd key, for the clean install, later on on the new SSD.

So we did that, and got the cd key with a cd key tool extracted, from the newly upgraded windows 10 on the HDD. After this, we felt everything was good, so we powered it down, and took the HDD out, and put the SSD in, put the bootable Windows 10 USB (we had created with microsofts tool) into the laptop, and booted up. We went into the bios to see, if the BIOS found the new SSD, and it did.... so far so good. We then set it to boot from USB, and lo and behold... it booted up fine, on the Windows USB installer. I got to the product key activation, and it accepted the newly made Windows 10 cd key, i had gotten on the HDD install. Now i could choose to upgrade, or custom to make a clean install.
Usually... a box comes up, where it sees the HDDs/SSDs in the laptop, and asks which disk to install windows on.... But there were no disks?? I was baffled, cuzz the BIOS saw it? Why didnt the windows installer?

Sooo... Troubleshooter as i am, i took the new SSD, and put it into a stationary machine, that had a Windows 10 install running allready, to try and format the SSD into NTFS... I kinda thought that was why the Windows installer wouldnt see the SSD, since it wasnt formatted. So i used the disk tool in Windows 10 to make a NTFS partition, and format it. Disk worked fine, and i even tried to copy to it, to see if it worked. It did.

So now i thought... Great! Back into the laptop with the SSD, cuzz it must surely find it now, when i run the installer. But.... NOPE ! Still no disks listed in the installer :/

It can still see the SSD in the BIOS, but i simply cannot get it to show, in the install window, during the Windows 10 install...

Can someone please tell me, what the hell is going on? And what can i do, to go past this point, cuzz its pissing me off !

Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
Boot the Windows Installer.

Press Shift + F10; a command prompt windows will pop up.

Type 'diskpart' and press enter.

Type 'list disk' and press enter.

Look for the SSD in the list.
You should see a disk number identifying it.
Now type 'select disk x' ; x being the number identifying your SSD. and press enter.

Type 'clean' and press enter; This will write a blank MBR.

try installing again.

RushTac

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
Boot the Windows Installer.

Press Shift + F10; a command prompt windows will pop up.

Type 'diskpart' and press enter.

Type 'list disk' and press enter.

Look for the SSD in the list.
You should see a disk number identifying it.
Now type 'select disk x' ; x being the number identifying your SSD. and press enter.

Type 'clean' and press enter; This will write a blank MBR.

try installing again.

Solution