First PC Build: Help a noobie out

MrMario

Honorable
Aug 11, 2015
EDIT: Just saw I'm not supposed to post new builds here, my bad. Is there a way to move this post, or should i re-post in Systems?

Hey everybody, first time poster here and first time PC builder.

Here is the build I'm planning on going with: Le Tigra

I've done some homework, and I made a couple other builds (one Intel/NVIDIA, one AMD), and decided to go Blue/Green. I'll post my other builds too if anyone wants to see them.

Please give me your thoughts on the build, offer up suggestions. I'm on a bit of a budget, I want to stay as close to 1K as possible, this build is at a little over $1300, and thats pretty close to the max I'm willing to spend.

I want the option to overclock my PC in the future, but am not considering doing it right away. I'm still just a nub.
This is mostly going to be a gaming PC. League of Legends is what I play most right now, with Tf2, minecraft, portal, Guild Wars (1), and Civ 4 being indulgences of mine from time to time. As you can see, I'm pretty much a filthy casual, but that might change in the future, so I want something that can handle more demanding games at decent settings.

The case I've selected, the Define R5, I'm very much in love with. Feel free to offer other suggestions, but you're gonna have to be pretty convincing to take me away from it. Quietness is also a plus, but not a necessity.

120hz+ refresh rate on the monitor is a must. Once you go up, you never go back.

Of course, Le Tigra is tiger themed (this build is gonna be ridiculously good looking): black, white, and orange. I also plan on putting some Orange LED lining in there, and if anyone has tips to change the power LED color on the case, let me know.

Thanks peeps!

Some changes

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M OC Formula Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.95 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Ducky Zero Shine Orange LED Keyboard Wired Gaming Keyboard ($121.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards)
Total: $1304.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-11 14:02 EDT-0400

Better PSU. How about this motherboard?

Motherboard installed.

zx8jnq.jpg

and from the side.

1z3bgh4.jpg

You also need a CPU cooler to overclock. You need to pick one that meets your aesthetics and budget, almost anything will meet your needs.

MrMario

Honorable
Aug 11, 2015
From what I can tell, your PSU is more efficient? Thats cool, any other reasons why it's better?

I do like that motherboard. It's got all the same features, in a Micro ATX form factor, for a bit cheaper. How's the quality held up? I saw a horror story where some dude's ASRock mobo caught fire...I just want to make sure they're a reputable brand.

Sabertooth tigers were yellow, right? I wouldn't be sinning that bad to stray from the color scheme a little...haha

Oh ya, I'm definitely investing in a cpu cooler for OC when the time comes. Thanks!

I've been overclocking CPUs on that motherboard all summer, and got to 4.8Ghz on an i5 4690K. The ASRock Z97M OC Formula has a very good reputation and the reviews are good. It overclocks well and it will do SLI.

The PSU is not just more efficient. It has higher performance parts, especially the main capacitors. This is very important for a high-performance gaming system. Here's what we think about PSUs http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2625445/build-log-consolidated-middle-school-builds.html The EVGA GS Gold is Tier 1. That's as good as it gets.

MrMario

Honorable
Aug 11, 2015

Sounds good, thanks!