I need expert opinion

Roadkillz3666

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Hello guys Roadkillz again now asking a very serious question.

Is my motherboard killing CPU's?

To give some background, I bought an MSI Gaming 6 usb 3.1 motherboard. LGA 1150.

Along with it, an Intel Core i7 4790K.

At first. Everything was fine. Computer booted up, temps were considered normal, ~35-40C Idle.

Using Hyper 212 EVO, just to test it, (base clock BTW) see how temps would stay.

I did an Intel burn test at High settings. (I was afraid of Maximum settings so did not touch it.) About the highest I saw the temps was 84C.

I thought as long as it doesn't reach 100C, which I saw was supposed to be the chip's max temps, it was fine. I left the room for about 10 min.

I came back to find my PC completely off, I thought it was odd, but maybe it just went to sleep. (No LED lights in my case to indicate that) So i thought, whatever, must be finished and turned off. To my surprise, when I pressed the power button, my LED power fans would spin for a sec, then poof, turned off. Tried again, same effect.

Panicking, I disconnected the PSU, bridged the green 12 pin connector wire with a black one, connected a fan via molex (for a load), and turned it on. Power supply worked no problem.

Fearing the worst, I took off my Hyper 212 Evo, took the core i7 and used my old LGA 1150 motherboard, which my gramps was using along with my core i5. Swapped chips, and turned on power. The computer did the same thing as mine. Swapped the core i5 back, turned on no problem.

At this point, I;m completely heartbroken. $300 down the drain.

went back to my room to see if the motherboard was at least still operational, plugged in the PSU, all necessary connections, and turned it on. Everything lit up as if it was working (only without the chip) Debug indicator said 00, I couldn't find it on the manual so I thought it was just stating it has power, since there was nothing in the CPU slot.

Since trying to get a replacement from Intel was just too much pain in the ass, I bought a new Core i7 4790K.

Got home, put on thermal, installed the 212 EVO, and fired her up.

This is where my heart broke, same effect as the last broken chip. Brief power, then dead.
Tried again, dead.

Did the same diagnostics as before, chip was dead.

My conclusion. My motherboard killed my chips. I understand if I did something wrong with the first one, maybe it got too hot and it could not take it, but the PC should've shut down to prevent damage. Now the second time, where it killed the brand new chip MILLISECONDS after turning it on, I just cant believe it.

I need your expert opinions, this $120 motherboard just cost me over $600 in CPU's.

I overclock an Intel Pentium G3258 on a Z97 motherboard with a CPU watercooler. I like using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to monitor temperatures.

Some overclocking software programs raise the vCore voltage to dangerously high levels. I don't use IntelBurnTest, but it is advertised as putting even the most pow--erful X86/X64 CPUs in the world at their knees. Load tempatures under Linpack will be up to 22*C higher than the competing software Prime95.

I would not be interested in using a software overclocking program that raise the vCore voltage to 1.45 volts along with 100 degree Celcius temperatures. I don't agree with your belief that, " as long as it doesn't reach 100C, which I saw was supposed to be the chip's max temps, it was fine".

IntelBurnTest is not for beginning overclockers. For next time, you might now know about automatic software overclocking programs, high vCore voltages and their effect on temperatures.

Roadkillz3666

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015

I never wanted to overclock, zI just wanted to see how temperatures would stay at stock speeds, I never even touched the overclocking settings on BIOS or any program.

Roadkillz3666

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015

Plus this doesn't answer my question

Is your motherboard killing CPU's? No, I don't think so. It is user error. IntelBurnTest is not for beginning overclockers. You need to make sure your PC is properly cooled and ventilated. Unfortunately, you seem to think running Intel Core i7 4790K at 100 degrees Celsius is fine and dandy.

Roadkillz3666

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015

No I don't. For a temp test as long as it doesn't reach its max temps, I considered the cooler passable, but of course I will never go over 70C while gaming or anything else for that matter.

And its kinda hard to believe that my motherboard is not killing CPU's when the brand new one I put in died the second I pressed the power button.

I'm sorry but did you not read what I typed?

I'm looking for serious answers. I don't believe running a Processor at 100C is ever ok. And my case is very well ventilated.