Weird ticking noise/ none of my instruments kick in on start up

ben_thehawk

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
Hey Car guys/girls,

So i have this problem with my instrument cluster that hopefully someone can help me diagnose... i will lay out my details so its easy to read...

Car - Toyota Corolla Hatchback 2009

Where is the problem - In my instrument cluster

The Problem - So 90% of the time i turn my car on none of my gauges work (Speed, Rev, Temp or Fuel) But, my Fuel gauge does a repetitive tick back and forth very quickly for about 10-15 seconds while all other instruments stay at the zero point. After the ticking stops, they all boot up and go to the respective places... But it also happens when i turn it off, the needles all go back to zero but the fuel will go to zero and then tick for 15 seconds again.

This isn't causing any safety problems to the car (Still idles properly etc) its just super annoying to have to wait to get a proper reading of my speed.

Thanks Peops.

Kliqx

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Could there be an issue with the electronics on the vehicle, have you done anything recently that could have damaged it? Maybe even washing your car? I assume that the Corolla uses electronic sensors so I would visit a local mechanic just get it checked out.
I'm no expert on car electronics but maybe a few fuses or damaged wiring in the car could cause this. I think it would be best to narrow down anything that could have caused this and contact a mechanic and ask about what they think, the quotes are usually free and it could be a simple job but it's best to get it fixed now before all the gauge and instruments fail and you cannot tell anything.

ben_thehawk

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014

Nah, It isn't human fault, but i got a quote from an automotive electrician and they said it will cost about $35 an hour just to find the problem... I myself have tried alot of fault finding to the problem but no luck, thats why im seeing if anyone else has ever had the same problem :/

thanks anyway Kliqx