Is dual-booting Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To let everyone know, if you upgrade a Windows 7 or 8.1 retail license to Windows 10 and then upgrade to a new motherboard, hard drive, etc., then you need to reinstall your original OS first, reactivate it through the Microsoft phone automated activation system, then repeat the upgrade to Windows 10. I swapped to a better motherboard and activation of my Windows 8.1 retail license went smoothly.

During the last several months, I've had bad luck with issues with Windows 8.1, including power issues, network crashes, etc. I want to set up a dual-boot with two versions of Windows; I've had enough of having Windows crash and having to fuss, fume, and get burned up with repairing it and not being able to play my games or whatever. Whenever the primary OS is in need of repair, I want to switch to a slave OS on the fly and resume business as usual. I am not upgrading to Windows 10 yet until I decide what move I want to make. The "free" upgrade to Windows 10 has its caveats, including ads. Both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 have integrated OneDrive, so is it a good idea to buy Windows 10, put it on a newer SSD, and keep Windows 8.1 on my original SSD as a slave drive? Also, will Windows 10 Home or Pro be enough? I already have virtualization on Windows 8.1 Pro, but I also heard that you could defer updates on Windows 10 Pro only.

Solution

That will work just fine.

USAFRet

Titan

From the Win 10 EULA, no you do not have to go back to your original OS first.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm
b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

I was told by several people to reinstall Windows 8.1 first, but since I'm contemplating a dual-boot with Windows 10, then I'm fine with installing Windows 8.1 for now.

I want to put Windows 10 on a new SSD for two reasons. Installing both on the same drive and removing / reinstalling an older OS with the newer on still intact will have risks. I want to have enough hard drive space to store Windows 10 apps, including games like Minecraft Windows 10 edition and Killer Instinct. Should a 120 GB SSD be enough for that or should I go with a 250 GB drive?

USAFRet

Titan
"told by several people" vs the EULA..I know which one I'd go with.

But...
Yes, a 120GB drive is fine. That is currently my boot drive size. Prices today though, I'd go with a 250GB SSD instead.
The Samsung 850 EVO is $62 for the 120GB, vs $100 for the 250GB (Amazon prices)

So which is better?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $149.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-11 09:17 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($134.78 @ OutletPC)
Total: $134.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-11 09:18 EDT-0400

USAFRet

Titan

All depends on your space needs, and whatever other drives are connected.
My wife gets by fine with a 250GB 850 EVO as the only drive. On my main PC, a 500GB on its own would be sorely lacking.

OK, so Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and Windows 10 Home it is. Thanks for your feedback. I'll put most of my productivity programs, such as Photoshop, on Windows 10 and freeware / basic stuff on Windows 8.1. And any games which may be problematic on Windows 10 will be installed on Windows 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.