Another way to get a BIOS update from ASUS?

Vixee

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
I have an older motherboard. ASUS PQ5 SE/R, and I've just upgraded my CPU from a Core2 Duo 3.0 to a Core2 Quad 3.0, and now whenever I start my computer I get an alarm error message that my CPU is overheating.

I looked in Setup to see what the temperature was and it showed 100 C/212 F for the CPU, but the computer seems to be running just fine. So, I tried to look for some answers, and saw someone suggest it might be that my motherboard needs to have it's BIOS updated, however, when I go to my ASUS Bios update utility, it doesn't download anything. So, is there an alternative to updating my boards BIOS?

Vahe Bro A

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
ok every time you upgrade your Motherboard or CPU you would need to do a fresh install of Windows because windows can cause trouble.

or it might just be that your on board cpu temperature reader has gotten defective. and that's inside the CPU socket. you might have some bend pins too. before really doing anything this is what i would do. I would take out the new CPU and check for any bent pins, if there are not any bent pins reapply thermal past and put back on the Fan, Do not reuse the new thermal past you put on a couple days ago because when you take off the Fan from the CPU the thermal compound is not a Sold surface compound anymore it's more of "there is some here and some there"

after you have checked that. you will need to reinstall windows. then update your bio's. So i hope you know how to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the windows.

here is a link to your bios update. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q_SER/HelpDesk_Download/ Click on what OS you are using then click on BIO's then download the Version 1005 it will be the first one, that's the latest one. so it will include all the other updates from the other versions too. the file is a ROM file. So you would need to put this ROM file into a flash drive and on startup go into your bio's and click on Easy flash or instant flash what ever your Manufacture calls it. should be in the Advanced settings. here is a Video i found you can look at and get an idea of what you can do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqLRUZksMgs

Vixee

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
I'm 100% sure it's not bent pins, being that the Core 2 Quad that I have doesn't have pins that can be bent. It's just flat pins. I wonder if maybe my Heatsink/Fan is the problem, being that I am using the same one that I used with my Core 2 Duo. I did a bit of research and some people are saying it doesn't matter as long as it fits the socket (which is LGA 775), while others are saying that the Core 2 Quad would benefit from the copper on the Heatsink/Fan that comes with the Core 2 Quad because it runs hotter.

I did plan on doing a fresh install of Windows, but not just yet. I need to wait a few more days for another piece of hardware to arrive (some RAM).

Thanks for your advice and the links. I will wait a while longer if anyone else has any more input on this subject, specifically about the Heatsink/Fan that I'm using. But, I'll most likely need to do the BIOS update, because I'm looking at the version I have now, and it's from 2009!

Vixee

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
I'm beginning to think this is more of a CPU issue than a motherboard one. I did the BIOS update, but still have the CPU over temperature error. So, I went back and removed the Heatsink and CPU, cleaned off the old thermal paste, and re-applied again. I made sure the Heatsink/Fan was secure, and this time the CPU temp was at least 15 degrees cooler (at 85 C), but still too hot.

UPDATE: Turned out to be the Heatsink/Fan was not adequately cooling the new CPU. So, I bought a new Heatsink/Fan that was meant for the Core 2 Quad Q9650 and now everything is running cool and smooth.