Tri-monitor SURROUND setup issue: 1x Acer XB270HU and 2x Asus W266H

KVORKIAN

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Hi all, I'm having a problem getting SURROUND to work with my trip-monitor setup. My setup is as follows:

Intel I7-4970K (OC to 4.6GB)
Asus Maximus Hero 7
2x EVGA GTX 780 CLASSIFIED in SLI on air (2x metal fans = SO much air).
16GB Trident X (OC)
1300w PSU

Acer XB270HU (27in, 2560x1440 on DP)
Asus VW266H (25in, 1920x1200 on HDMI)
Asus VK266H (25in, 1920x1200 on DVI)

I have successfully set the desktop up to extend across all 3 - the screen depths work for me even though they are different resolutions. The Asus monitors flank the Acer left and right obviously… I intend to use the Asus monitors mostly for peripheral vision during gaming so i’m good if it’s little off. Desktop use is fine.

The problem is that for the life of me cannot get the SURROUND in Nvidia Control Panel to work with all three (1x3), which gaming requires. The 2x Asus monitors sync totally fine (1x2) in SURROUND and I can view them working in Unigene Heaven (the centre Acer monitor is blank when I do).

I believe this is to do with the sync polarity of the Acer being different to the other 2. I have tried to address this using info on Reddit which outlined reconfiguring the Left and Right Asus monitors drivers with the Acer driver, effectively wiping the Asus driver and tricking SURROUND into thinking there are 3x Acer XB270HU. This did not work unfortunately… also tried replacing the Acer driver with the Asus but to no avail. (I’ve backed up all the files so fear no, the monitors are fine :)

Anyone have any tips, tricks or links to get this setup working?

Otherwise i’ll buy a used 3rd Asus W266H on CL and bin this Acer XB270HU (KIDDING!!!!!!)

Thanks Team!

Solution
To my knowledge Nvidia doesn't support monitors with different settings. It's been awhile since AMD came out with mixed monitor support, but I remember reading when they did Nvidia didn't support it. The fact that you can extend and be ok but not enable surround pretty much confirms this. You'll probably have to wait until they enable this in the drivers.

KVORKIAN

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Thanks K1114. Yup I forgot to mention that crucial fact...

I have set the Acer to 1920x1200 and 60hz. All monitors now have the exact same settings. I DID notice however in "Adjust desktop size and dimensions" tab within Nvidia Control Panel, the Acer hz went back up to 144z when I hit Apply. Even though at the tab at the top where you actually set the display depth and Hz etc still says 60hz. WT?

And G-Sync is off obviously.

Thanks all!

4745454b

Titan
To my knowledge Nvidia doesn't support monitors with different settings. It's been awhile since AMD came out with mixed monitor support, but I remember reading when they did Nvidia didn't support it. The fact that you can extend and be ok but not enable surround pretty much confirms this. You'll probably have to wait until they enable this in the drivers.

Solution

KVORKIAN

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Thanks for the response. Yup the settings are the same.

I have seen quite a few pages with users who have been able to get monitors of different brands/physical sizes to work in SURROUND. As long as the resolution and hz are set the same. In fact my Asus monitors are VW266h and VK266h, so technically they are different monitors and they do work in Surround together fine on my setup.

The issue is the ACER XB270HU. It is an IPS panel, different native res (but set to a consistent 1920x1200 @ 60z)... as i mentioned I have read a few posts about ways to rewrite the driver to trick the PC into thinking there are 3 monitors of the same, which has indeed worked for other ppl, but unfortunately not me.

Anyone else have any ideas? Someone who has mixed "Brand #1 IPS panel" with "Brand #2 TN panels"?

I'M SO CLOSE TO UBER-WIDESCREEN GAMING!!! :)

Thanks again