Windows 8.1 will not Update to Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fyrebolt27

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
I've searched the internet for a couple hours now, and I have found nobody so far who seems to be having quite the same problem that I am.

I had Windows 10 downloading overnight and throughout the day. When I got home, the Windows Update screen was open with another screen that (I think) was the usual "Terms of Agreement" and whatnot. I checked to make sure it was for Microsoft and accepted. The Windows Update had the usual "Restart your PC to finish installing updates" so I restarted. But no updates, to Windows 10 or otherwise installed. But it still says the same thing, and when I go to shutdown or restart, it says "apply updates and restart." I have done this at least 10 times and nothing has happened. The "Get Windows 10" app has even popped up and told me that W10 is done downloading, but going through that ended up in a normal restart. If I open the app manually it tells me that Windows 10 is still downloading in the background.

Anybody know what is happening here?

Solution
Most people that are having problems are people who have not followed the recommended procedures before and during the upgrade process. I understand if you feel skeptical or have doubts, so if you choose not to upgrade, that's your choice and should be respected. If you choose to upgrade at some point, I'd follow the steps below before and during the process.

Prior to installing as outlined by another of our members:

1) Check that the software and hardware you mostly use are comptible with Windows 10 and have drivers available

2) Make sure to update all necessary drivers and Windows updates

3) Some devices might need a specific driver to operate with Windows 10, it might be a good idea to download these Windows 10...

Fyrebolt27

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Thank you for this. When using the Windows 10 ISO, should I just choose "Upgrade this PC now," or should I "Create installation media for another PC" and update with that method? Is that what you were talking about when you differentiating between a clean install vs updating? (sorry about the other post, I have not used these forums before)

No. A clean install is where the old operating system gets wiped OUT of existence, leaving behind no trace of the days, months or years of accumulated crap to bog down the new installation. Unfortunately, you must do that anyhow, at least at first, in order to get your free Windows 10 version appropriately registered with the Microsoft activation servers to your machine. After completing that however, you can then go back and do a clean install, which is what I recommend doing, after you upgrade.

It means going through the process twice, but at least you only have to go through the process twice, once. Future clean installs, refreshes and renews don't require going through the upgrade process again, unless you change computers or motherboards.

So do the upgrade, and then do a clean install.

Make sure all your files, folders and settings you do not wish to lose are backed up to another location like an external or secondary drive, or to a cloud storage somewhere before doing anything in regard to upgrading or a clean install.

If you have not already created media for use with installing, then choose the create installation media for another PC option. Afterwards, when using that media to do an upgrade, be sure to choose the "keep my files, folders and settings" option which is the same as "upgrade my machine", for the first go round and then follow the instructions at the link above after you've completed the upgrade, played around with windows 10 a bit to determine that you do in fact wish to continue using it and are ready to start with a clean slate.

If you do not have installation media for your older operating system, and want to keep your OEM recovery partition intact in case you decide to revert back later, be sure not to delete the recovery partition from the drive during the clean install but delete all other partitions. Or, back up your factory partition to another location, like a secondary drive or disk, and wipe all the partitions from the drive before the clean installation, which is the preferred method.

Fyrebolt27

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Thank you for all of your help. I think I may wait a little while before upgrading to 10 though, as several people I know are having some problems with it. I'll wait until some of those are fixed before I upgrade

Most people that are having problems are people who have not followed the recommended procedures before and during the upgrade process. I understand if you feel skeptical or have doubts, so if you choose not to upgrade, that's your choice and should be respected. If you choose to upgrade at some point, I'd follow the steps below before and during the process.

Prior to installing as outlined by another of our members:

1) Check that the software and hardware you mostly use are comptible with Windows 10 and have drivers available

2) Make sure to update all necessary drivers and Windows updates

3) Some devices might need a specific driver to operate with Windows 10, it might be a good idea to download these Windows 10 compatible versions prior to upgrading to have them ready

4) Backup all and any important files from your computer to a cloud service or external harddrive

5) Create recovery media for your current Windows install, if you have a OEM pc/laptop refer to the user manual or check the website of the manufacturer for how to create the recovery media for your device (some people have been unable to use the rollback feature after upgrading to Windows 10)

And for the actual upgrade process, this:

This is the method that has had the most success, for those who have had troubles. Be sure NOT to use the mediacreation tool to install from. Only use it to download and create the ISO, then use the USB/DVD download tool to create bootable media on USB or DVD. Then install but be sure to NOT choose the "download updates now" option. Rather, choose the option to skip updates. Also, make sure to choose the option to keep files, folders and settings so it performs an upgrade rather than a clean install.

If you perform a clean install on the first pass you will nullify your ability to activate now or in the future without reinstalling your previous OS first.

Dowload the ISO here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Use this tool to create USB or DVD installation media using the downloaded ISO: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

And during the install select the "keep my files, folders and settings" option so it does an update rather than a clean install. After completing an update you can then go back later, after the update has been completed and the system has activated with Microsoft and do a clean install if you wish like this:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.