Uninstalled Win 10 (back to Win 7) - now keyboard and mouse won't work

Racquetball

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
I have a Dell XPS 17 laptop. Worked great under Windows 7. Tried Windows 10 but was unable to get the wireless LAN driver to work, so I went back to Win 7 via the official "Go Back to Windows 7" option in Windows 10 - now the keyboard and mouse won't respond after start up. They work fine in the bios, but are completely unresponsive on the login screen - even when I boot in safe mode. No USB ports work, so I can't try another keyboard/mouse.

Was going to reinstall but I'll lose the existing data. Now I'm going to have to pull the drive and copy over manually, then reinstall.

Last thing I was going to try was disabling EVERYTHING in the BIOS just in case there was some kind of weird IRQ conflict, etc. Longshot but I am out of answers.

There has got to be something I haven't tried.....

mbellonis

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

mbellonis

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi Racquetball,

I experienced the same problems that you've experienced rolling back my system from win10 to win7 and am looking for a solution, have you received an answer to your dilemma.

Regards

thejesseadams

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

thejesseadams

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
I had the same issue, but I was able to boot into safe mode and the keyboard/mouse worked there. Afterwards I booted as normal and they both worked. It was almost as if there was a check in place after the rollback that couldn't complete.

TRENDING THREADS