Black bars on side of the screen after upgrading to windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathanpark3r

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Hello, everyone i recently updated from windows 7 to windows 10 and there is one problem. The side of the monitor will have black bars if the resolution is bellow 1920x1080 on desktop and games. I tried to reinstall the driver and it didnt work. My driver is also the lastest too. Thanks
My specs:
Intel hd graphics family
Intel pentium g620 2.60ghz

Solution

■Right click the desktop.
    ■Select Screen Resolution.
    ■Make sure the monitor that is listed is the brand and model of your display. If it says something like PnP Monitor, the drivers for the display did not get installed properly. See step 7 below.
    ■If it lists the correct display, make sure the resolution is the native resolution for the display.
    ■If everything is correct so far, it could be the wrong refresh rate. To check that, click on Advanced Settings in the lower right area of the screen.
    ■On the panel that opens, click on the Show All Modes button. Make sure the highlighted choice is correct. If it is not, find the right one, and click on it. If you make a change, then click on OK...
Most software like the Nvida graphics suite installed with the driver, and also catalyst control centre for Ati based graphics cards come with an over scan option in the advanced screen settings.
Have a look at the Intel software graphics application to see if it has an over scan feature also to allow windows desktop
To be over scanned to fit the display properly. at the resolution you want.

■Right click the desktop.
    ■Select Screen Resolution.
    ■Make sure the monitor that is listed is the brand and model of your display. If it says something like PnP Monitor, the drivers for the display did not get installed properly. See step 7 below.
    ■If it lists the correct display, make sure the resolution is the native resolution for the display.
    ■If everything is correct so far, it could be the wrong refresh rate. To check that, click on Advanced Settings in the lower right area of the screen.
    ■On the panel that opens, click on the Show All Modes button. Make sure the highlighted choice is correct. If it is not, find the right one, and click on it. If you make a change, then click on OK, Apply, OK and OK. You are done at this point.

■Go to the web site of the manufacturer of your display, and download the display driver file(s). Typically, this is a .ZIP file that will need to be unpacked into a folder on your hard drive. Which folder is up to you. I normally create a new folder with the name and model of the display (AOC 2963 in my case), and drop the 3 files into that folder. Remember the name of this folder. you will need to point windows to it in step 14.
    ■Open the Control Panel
    ■Click on System
    ■In the upper left, click on Device Manager
    ■Expand Monitors
    ■Right click on the PnP Monitor entry, and select Update Driver Software.
    ■Select Browse my computer for driver software.
    ■Click on Browse, and point it to where you put the downloaded display driver files in step 7.
    ■If the driver was installed properly, the entry under Monitors should change to the brand and model of your display. If that happened, restart your computer, and if after the restart, the display is still showing the black bars, restart at the top of this.

Solution
What are you trying to play that would get you 1 FPS? GTA V?

As I said in an earlier post, Most monitors only work well at their native resolution. I have a TV in here that is 720p, but will accept a 1080p signal. At 720p or 1080p the screen is edge to edge. But if I tune to an analog signal on cable, there are black bars on both sides. And nothing I do to the TV will change that. It does not have the circuits to be able to upscale the size of the picture. So that is probably exactly whats going on with yours.

From where I sit, you have 3 choices:

1) Buy a video card
2) Buy a lower res monitor
3) Live with what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.