Sapphire R9 270x and screen tearing in monitor/HDTV duplicate mode?

Sam QS

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Okay so currently I'm running this graphics card and having terrible screen tears on my main monitor. The HDTV is just fine but oddly enough my monitor is getting screen tears. Does anyone by any chance have an idea of what is going on?

Solution
I finally got the time to spend a half hour comparing the monitor and the video card, and the TV and the video card. Everything set to 60Hz should worth without tearing as long as V-Sync is on. So I think something or some somethings is blocking v-sync from actually being on. And I think the video card is feeding your monitor at rates that exceed the 60Hz rate on the monitor. Unfortunately, I cannot dig through your system to try to figure out what it is that is doing this. I don't even know what you have installed, but even if I did, I would not be able to see the settings.

But it is either a software setting, or malfunctioning hardware. You have the Sapphire, and the onboard video on your CPU. Try running the DVD off of the CPU's DVI...
Netflix is causing tearing? Seriously?

Alright, I need to know what every item in your case is, brand, model and capacity.
Also need windows version, and monitor info as well. What type of connection to the monitor are you using? Any adapters and such?

Sam QS

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah that was my initial thoughts too lol. I'm actually trying out "freesync" just now, so far it seems to be getting rid of the screen tearing or at least for now. Might just be sheer luck though but I'll see if it's consistent.

Sam QS

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Motherboard - AC Gaming Z87
CPU - i7 4790k
Memory - 16gb(8x2) G.Skill Ripjaw(Don't remember the exact model)
PSU - XFX TS 550w Bronze

The tearing is like I said, my main monitor(DVI connected), not the HDTV.

Oddly enough I bought a new HDTV because the original setup, the HDTV was getting screen tears(during gaming) and now it's the other way around.

I finally got the time to spend a half hour comparing the monitor and the video card, and the TV and the video card. Everything set to 60Hz should worth without tearing as long as V-Sync is on. So I think something or some somethings is blocking v-sync from actually being on. And I think the video card is feeding your monitor at rates that exceed the 60Hz rate on the monitor. Unfortunately, I cannot dig through your system to try to figure out what it is that is doing this. I don't even know what you have installed, but even if I did, I would not be able to see the settings.

But it is either a software setting, or malfunctioning hardware. You have the Sapphire, and the onboard video on your CPU. Try running the DVD off of the CPU's DVI port and see what happens. If The tearing stops, your video might be the problem. If it happens with the onboard DVI port, the monitor might be the problem. Or as I said earlier, it might well be a software setting somewhere.

Its tedious to do this, but sometimes, it the only way to figure out what is causing this. From what you have told me, you have everything right as far as the hardware goes.

Swap as many pieces as you can, 1 change at a time. Write down what you changed, and what the result as. Eventually, you will figure out where the problem is. And then you will either laugh or cry at how simple the fix was.

If there is anything else I can help with, just post here, and I will do my best.

Solution

Sam QS

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Waiting for my Display port to hdmi converter to come in so I can switch around the cables so that it'll be HDMI/HDMI for my main monitor/HDTV and use the DVI that is currently on my main monitor for my secondary one and I'll update to let you know how it goes.

Based on something I read, VGA to DVI converter may cause the secondary monitor to have flickering/wave lines so I'm going to try to use a regular DVI(non-converted) cable as soon as my display port comes in, I'll update the information when I get to try it out.