both are using built in videocard
i5 4460 is using Home Premium while X4 is using Ultimate
both has 8GB memory
same HDD

is it because I don't use a V.C.?

Ricecream_

Honorable
Aug 11, 2015
my guess is because while he 4466 is clocked at 3.2ghz it turbos at 3.4 while the phenom is clocked at 3.4 standard. The phenom also has a 2mb L2 cache while the 4466 only has 1mb.

Something doesn't sound right. Unless the motherboard your x4 965 was running on had onboard graphics, the 965 be doesn't have an igpu. It's more likely you had a graphics card. The i5 on the other hand does have an igpu (built in graphics). The clock speed doesn't matter, you can't compare 3.2 on intel to 3.4 on amd. Intel's 3.2 is more like amd at 4.2-4.4.

You say the i5 feels slower - at what tasks? Gaming? The igpu on intel cpu's is more or less good enough for office work, maybe some light gaming like steam games with low requirements. For any decent gaming on AAA titles you should really be using a graphics card. Using the igpu on the i5 takes away up to 1.8gb of your system memory leaving you with 6gb usable ram. If you were using a graphics card with the amd it would have made all 8gb available to the system.

I'm not sure why the phenom felt faster to you. The i5 4460 is clearly a faster/stronger cpu. Despite the phenom's higher clock speed you can't directly compare intel to amd's frequencies. Intel has higher ipc (instructions per clock) meaning it gets more work done per ghz so two similar speed cpu's the intel will definitely be faster.

Here's a general comparison of the 965 be vs an older i5 3470 with similar speed to the 4460. The 4460 is slightly faster yet.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/102?vs=702

Unfortunately I can't come up with a head to head comparison of the 780g's onboard graphics (the cpu doesn't actually have integrated graphics like amd's apu series or intel cpu's with igpu like the i5, same basic concept though). The 780g is several years older (was around in 2008) than the intel hd 4600 graphics. The 780g board is limited to dx10 as far as I know while the hd 4600 support dx 11.1 . I can't imagine the phenom being faster in either processing or graphics so not sure what you're experiencing. If gaming I'd highly recommend using a dedicated graphics card with either system, integrated or onboard graphics really aren't that powerful for most gaming and are typically used just to provide a display for office apps and to watch youtube videos or playback dvd's. Even an inexpensive low power card like a gtx 750ti will greatly outperform integrated graphics.

jefrey1983

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
i am using windows 10 on phenom and windows 7 on Intel, could be that it?
both has 8gb memory and windows 10 seems to load faster and smoother

That could be it.

For desktop performance, it really is hard to tell PC performance apart. However, whatever integrated graphics you are using on your AMD motherboard may be superior to the Intel iGPU. That is my only thoughts.

It depends on the os as far as boot times. It would help to check actual program performance to make a determination, how fast the pc boots says very little. What are the fps in games? Are you using fraps or similar to check during gaming to verify the intel is slower? Some bios settings can affect boot times, some motherboards boot faster than others. The programs loading on startup have a lot to do with it. There are too many variables to try and make an accurate determination, they're not both running the same hardware or os so they're completely different. Being an older integrated graphics chip I still doubt it's more powerful than the newer intel igpu. Either one will likely give dismal gaming performance though, to see decent smooth game play you really need a dedicated graphics card.

jeffredo

Distinguished
Your Windows 10 installation may feel "snappier" than your Windows 7 installation but unless there is something very wrong with your Intel PC I guarantee you the i5-4460 is faster in any application. There's also no way the IGP on an AMD 780G board (Radeon 3200 from 2008) is going to be faster than the IGP on an i5-4460 CPU.