Computer keeps on freezing or restarting when playing games on Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorHerobrine

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Ever since I installed Windows 10 on release, I have been having problems with my games. Before it was just games like Counter-Strike 1.6, Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2 / EP1 / EP2, Left 4 Dead or Garry's Mod that froze my computer or sometimes it would just say "AMD driver has stopped working and successfully recovered". Last night it happened when I was playing Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing and I was just trying to finish a race when the screen turns black and brings up a message saying "Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing has stopped working". This has never happened to me before and I thought it had something to do with plugging my Xbox One controller in when Windows already started up when usually I just leave it plugged in before turning on my computer. I launched the game again and had Spotify playing music at the same time. I needed to check something on the internet and I pressed the Windows key and opened Google Chrome then everything stops and the music just freezes and has a constant stuttering sound. I think it could of been that the graphics card stopped working but it didn't recover.

I run Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing in these settings:

Resolution: 640x480 @ 60Hz
Widescreen: Yes
Vertical Sync: No
Language: English
Texture Resolution: Low
Shadows: Off
Low Detail Models: One Player
Soft Particles: No
Motion Blur: No

I run Garry's Mod in these settings:

Resolution: 1440x900
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen (19:10)
Advanced Settings: Everything as low as possible except for Texture Detail which is at Medium

Computer Specifications:

RAM: 2GB
Graphics: ATi Radeon 3000 Graphics 256MB VRAM
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 Processor @ 2.9GHz

Computer Manufacturer: Compaq
Computer Model: Compaq SG3-320UK

Solution
Radeon 3000:
No Windows 10 driver support listed. I checked manually and it goes to Windows 8 only.

I would definitely ROLL BACK to Windows 7/8.

If the support it later then you can upgrade. You have a YEAR from release, but again only 31 days to roll back or you're locked into W10.

*It appears like AMD has drawn the line at the Radeon HD5000 series and later. I really doubt they'll support your GPU.

DoctorHerobrine

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

I looked on the AMD website to find some Windows 10 drivers for the ATi Radeon 3000 but there was only Windows 8.1 drivers, I tried installing them since I still had the Windows 7 drivers after upgrading but there was no difference. The computer just freezes and restarts itself or if I'm lucky then the driver will recover.

ATI radeon 3000 is very old. So I think your only option is to upgrade your GPU or switch back to windows 7/8.1.

DoctorHerobrine

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

I have no choice, the ATi Radeon 3000 is built in to the motherboard. The motherboard is made by Foxconn and theres 2 Mini PCI-E slots on it and no cards use it that are powerful enough. The computer is a Compaq SG3-320UK, my mum bought it a few years ago as a family PC because my 6 year old Acer Aspire 5332 started to have some issues like the mouse freezing every time I move it and it would make a beeping sound and it had a BSOD all of the time. I eventually gave it to my mum and its been fine for her ever since. I play Garry's Mod and Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing on the ATi Radeon 3000 perfectly fine getting up to about 60FPS. The only issue I've been having is the computer crashing, freezing or the video card crashes when I'm playing games.

Hey,
Lots of people have freezing issues.

I upgraded TWO computers and both have the same basic problem. I'm not freezing in games, though I also have the latest NVidia drivers written specifically for Windows 10 (GTX680 on desktop and 9600M GT on laptop).

I'm not too upset since these types of issues are expected when upgrading to a new OS. I really like Windows 10 otherwise.

*Windows rollback:
You have to rollback to Windows 7/8 within 31 days or you get locked to the new W10 key.

AMD driver support?
If AMD will support your GPU for Windows 10 then I'd suggest staying with Windows 10 and deal with the issues until fixed. If AMD does NOT appear to support your GPU then definitely roll back.

I know NVidia supports more GPU's than AMD does previously. Not sure about Windows 10 specifically but due to AMD's financial problems I suspect they'll prioritize new GPU's then decide when to draw the line for legacy GPU's. Yours is probably too old but I'm not an expert.

*I'll check AMD's site quickly and see what it says for support.

Radeon 3000:
No Windows 10 driver support listed. I checked manually and it goes to Windows 8 only.

I would definitely ROLL BACK to Windows 7/8.

If the support it later then you can upgrade. You have a YEAR from release, but again only 31 days to roll back or you're locked into W10.

*It appears like AMD has drawn the line at the Radeon HD5000 series and later. I really doubt they'll support your GPU.

Solution

DoctorHerobrine

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

Its good to know this is a common issue, not just with gaming. I had Windows 7 previously so I upgraded to Windows 10 and it was extremely slow so I decided to reset my computer and it got stuck on 32% and the computer restarted and said "No Operating System was found". I had a spare copy of Windows 7 Home Premium so I installed that and my brother installed the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and installed Windows 10 for me and I went into Disk Clean-up and removed Windows 7 because there was nothing on it. The only way to switch back to Windows 7 is to reinstall it off a CD but I don't have the time to do that.

DoctorHerobrine

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Also would this be something to do with the HDD set to AHCI in the BIOS? I remember my brother changing something to AHCI in the BIOS of my 6 year old Acer Aspire 5332 laptop and that fixed the freezing issue on Windows 8.

Edit: Obviously I don't use the Acer Aspire 5332 laptop anymore because one day I switched it on and it was just a black screen with a mouse cursor and every time I moved the mouse it would beep really loud. I fixed that by switching out one of the 2GB RAM sticks with another one. That laptop ran Windows 8 but when I put Windows 7 back on it, it worked perfectly so I gave it to my mum.

DoctorHerobrine

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

Thanks for helping, at least I know now that I would need to wait for a new driver, then again; I can't roll back to Windows 7 anymore unless I use a CD which I don't have time for. Thanks! :)

Edit: Games work fine with this card, the ones I play anyway. Well at the moment I only play 5 of my Steam games (POSTAL 2, Garry's Mod, Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing and Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed) out of 94 xP

Status
Not open for further replies.