Which upgrade would fit me best . GPU, RAM, SSD?

The Rickest Rick

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
Hi guys,

I have some spare money right now and I would like to buy some parts for my rig with it. Right now it looks like this:

i5 4690K
Sapphire R9 280 Dual-X OC
Gigabyte G1.Sniper
1x 8GB RAM
1 TB WD Hard Drive
bequet Pure Power L8 500W

I mostly game on my PC, occasionally I watch a movie, too. I play various genres of games, from more demanding titles like Dying Light, modded Skyrim and the Metro games to NBA 2K, Wasteland 2 and various 4X games I play almost everything but 2D platformers.
Games I would like to play and possibly max out are Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, especially Fallout 4!

So, right now, I have about 550€ I can spend and my options are as follows:

1) Get a GTX 970, additional RAM and maybe an SSD
2) Get a 980
3) Get a 390(x) and a better PSU (by far not my favourite option, due to AMD's energy inefficiency)
4) Save more money and get a 980 Ti (and maybe a better PSU)
5) none of the above, your rig is fine ^^

I think that you have a great computer. If I was in the market for an i5 processor, the i5-4690K is the one I would buy. 8 GB of RAM is the sweet spot for gaming. The R9 280 is nice, but you didn't mention the resolution and refresh of your monitor(s). An SSD would definitely make your computer boot faster and your games load quicker, but obviously wouldn't increase your FPS.

If I were you, I'd: sell the R9 280 Dual-X OC and combine the proceeds with the 550€ to buy a GTX 980 Ti. That's what I would do in your situation.

Also, I would purchase a more powerful PSU (a necessity with a 980 Ti). I would sell the old PSU and use that money to recoup part of the cost of a new tier 1 or 2 tier PSU. I personally think a EVGA GS 650 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438048&cm_re=evga_gs_650-_-17-438-048-_-Product