USB ports won't work, can't restart in safe mode or access drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinSquid

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
A few days ago I got my upgrade to windows 10 (I was on Windows 7 professional). Everything was fine until I woke up this morning and tried to use my computer. I could tell that it had somehow restarted during the night. My keyboard and mouse weren't functioning either

Since then, I have discovered that:

-My USB 2.0 ports will provide power but don't function with any device. My USB 3.0 ports won't even provide power.

-Keyboard and mouse both work in my UEFI BIOS, as well as when I manage to boot the computer into the troubleshooting options. (I have the most updated BIOS)

-Cannot do a system restore (hadn't created one yet), nor can I re-install the operating system (says there's not enough space). If I try to roll back it just says it can't, even though I took the boot disk out and verified that there is a windows.old folder on there.

-Tried to use the command prompt to delete some programs and free up some space but none of the command prompt lines have worked for me in order to bring up a list of programs.

-Can't boot into safe mode (Get a "system thread exception not handled" error)

-Can't run sfc /scannow as it tells me there's a system repair pending which requires reboot.

-Tried to work around the scannow by doing an offbootdir command and all it does is bring up the commands for /scannow. Also tried doing a dism.exe fix and that brought up an error

I was inclined to think that there was a power surge and the USB ports went out on my motherboard, however all of them still work when used in the UEFI BIOS and the troubleshoot menu. I have a strong suspicion that I just need to somehow get into device manager and redo the USB drivers, but I can't even get that far, and I have no guarantee that my USB ports will work even if I managed to get into safe mode (if they don't, I have no way to navigate the computer)

Specs are as follows:

Asus P9x79 Pro MB
32 GB RAM
Titan X Card
Samsung 830 SSD - Boot
WD Black 1 TB - storage 1
WD Black 2 tb - Storage 2

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time in awhile that I've been completely stumped and have no idea how to work around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.