Clean install of Win10 on a SSD, Questions and Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

This is no longer the case. Modern drives, such as the one you have linked, are rated for over 2 million hours of reliability, that is over 228 years. In addition the warranty covers up to 75 TB of written data. Even writing 10 GB of data to the drive every day for 10 years will not reach 75 TB. Due the the speed and efficiency of a SSD it is the perfect place for a pagefile. With all of that in mind, you should still manage the size of the file so it does not waste space. For most builds a dedicated size of 2 - 4 GB is more than enough.

The stats I quoted in this post are all directly from the...

emeck

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
The way that i went about it was to disconnect your hard drive and put in your SSD and installation media, then go into the bios and choose to boot from the media and install it onto the SSD. After all that is done, you reconnect your hard drive, and prioritize the SSD as the boot drive. You just have to be careful of what you put on it. I'm not sure if this is the correct way to go about it, but it has worked fairly well for me so far.

GWLucid

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Be careful how so? Just space requirements you mean? Or something else?

GWLucid

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Ah okay. And what about TRIM and other stuff like that? I've seen that firmware is needed, or some options need to be taken down in Windows, but I haven't seen a guide for Windows 10 just yet. Do you guys have insight into that?

GWLucid

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

How do I find if it is on or off, and how do I turn it off?

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011

This is no longer the case. Modern drives, such as the one you have linked, are rated for over 2 million hours of reliability, that is over 228 years. In addition the warranty covers up to 75 TB of written data. Even writing 10 GB of data to the drive every day for 10 years will not reach 75 TB. Due the the speed and efficiency of a SSD it is the perfect place for a pagefile. With all of that in mind, you should still manage the size of the file so it does not waste space. For most builds a dedicated size of 2 - 4 GB is more than enough.

The stats I quoted in this post are all directly from the Samsung site for the drive you listed:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-75E120B/AM

*********** EDIT **************

To manage the pagefile in Windows 10 open the file manager and right click on the This PC link in the left pane. In the menu that appears choose Properties. In the System window that appears, on the left side, click the link labeled Advanced System Settings. Now the System Properties window is open and should be displaying the Advanced tab, if not choose it. Here, near the top, choose Settings from the Performance box. In the Performance Options window that appears choose the Advanced tab and click Change in the Virtual memory section. In the Virtual Memory window that appears remove the check mark from Automatically manage paging file size for all drives at the top of the window. Highlight your SSD and choose Custom Size from the radio options below. Make the Initial size and Maximum size the same setting, I personally use 4096 but you can use any number you choose. If you desire, you can also choose No paging file. Click the Set button and reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.