Need an IPS monitor for gaming, should I stick with this one or go for another?

Leeloo

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
Hello there guys, I'm new her so if I make some silly mistakes please let me know!

Essentaly I got this monitor from amazon and it had a dead pixels so I'm replacing but I have all so been eyeing up this monitor and I was wondering weather to replace the viewsonic with the asus OR go for a completly different one OR go for the same monitor again!

Now the only other thing is that I hate ips glow with a passion if anyone is kind enough to recommend one with little to none ips glow or tell me if the asus's glow is bad or good? Sorry if I'm asking a little too much here.

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated so thanks in advance for any help or input I receive! :)

DevillEars

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
Firstly, neither of the two monitors for which you provided links (Viewsonic and Asus) employ IPS technology panels (both are TN panels with focus on fast response times for gaming).

Also, your strongly-worded dislike of any backlight glow tends to rule out many of the entry-level IPS panels that could be suggested under your second approach (i.e. "go for a completely different panel).

So, there would appear to be a conflict between the post subject wording (Need an IPS monitor for gaming...) and the combination of both named monitors being non-IPS PLUS the rant against IPS' "backglow"... Which, of course leaves one a bit confused as to what you really want.

If gaming is your primary usage and you favour FPS-type games, then I would suggest you look at non-IPS panels for fast response times (1-2ms) and fast refresh rates (144Hz) and - if budget will stretch - with G-Synch. Which raises another question - that of BUDGET... Just how much are you prepared to spend on a new monitor? Related questions include: Do you have a minimum screen size/resolution in mind? If yes, please provide details. / What else will you use this rig to run (Video/Photo Editing? watching movies? Office apps?)

The problem with IPS panel technology for FPS gaming has nothing to do with any so-called "IPS glow" - it lies in the inherently slowish switching speed of IPS which tends to limit response times to 5ms at best.

Where IPS DOES deliver value is in applications where key requirements include: a wide viewing angle; minimal off-axis colour shift; a colour reproduction that is very natural (i.e. for video/photo editing and watching movies and - to a lesser extent - for extended regular Office use).

Will wait for the extra details...

Dave

Leeloo

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

Yep I know neither are IPS, because I sent you the wrong flipping links (Sorry) I had many tabs open and these two monitors were very simmiler: FIRST LINK and SECOND LINK

I don't hate IPS glow thaaat much matey, I'd just prefer to know what monitors have a smaller amount of it.

Leeloo

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

First of as I said to DevillEars I wrote the wrong links, the correct one is this and the second one is this.

1. Budget is gonna be the queens money I'm afraid so under £200 (that's about £300).
2.GTX970 (zotac)
3.) Gamin'
4.) preferably over 20"
5.) Gonna have to say 1080p here.

DevillEars

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
+1 for the Woofer's recommendation...

If gaming is your main focus, then the BenQ 24" mentioned will provide a great gaming experience - its fast and has a decent support stand with height adjustment. And it's not too far outside your budget...

corndog1836

Distinguished

YEP