Volume icon missing from taskbar, and option to display it greyed out

XXXX18

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Hi, so the title is pretty self-explanatory, however this happened after a bad download filled with trojans and malware. After removing all of them the icon disappeared. Does anyone know how to fix this?

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
It shouldn't be "gone" you might've closed the program have you rebooted it? Have you also tried right clicking the bottom right area where the volume control should be and clicking properties to make sure volume control is set to on?

XXXX18

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
fudgecakes99: There is no option for volume control to on. It's ot gone, just the option to display it is greyed out.

atheus: Yep all drivers are installed.

Plus my HD audio manager icon is also not there in the taskbar. its running in the background and I can run it by finding the .exe, but it's not displayed in the taskbar
ERAsHmk.png

Plus i must mention that this is only in my account. Other accounts on my pc are fine.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
If its windows 7. "Click on the start orb, click on Computer, click Harddisk(drive), click Windows, then click System 32. Scroll down to SndVol (icon), right click and pin it to the task bar."(Jacee, 2012) http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/212995-i-lost-my...

Hope it helps?

XXXX18

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

This is a good solution for the time being. Thanks for answering.

GamingInsider

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2015
Option 1

Perform SFC(System file Checker) scan and see if it helps.
a: PressWindows key + X.
b: SelectCommand Prompt(Admin).
c: Type SFC / scannow and hit enter.

Option 2

In this situation, I suggest you to create a new user account and check if you still face the issue. To create it perform the steps mentioned below.
Press Windows key + R key, Run window opens.
Type control in the open box and click Ok.
Control Panel windows opens.
Click on User accounts and Family Safety.
Click on User Account and then click on Manage Accounts.
Now click on Add a new user and follow the instructions.
Now check if the issue persists in the new user account.

Option 3

How to Enable or Disable System Icons on Taskbar in Windows 7 and Windows 8

XXXX18

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

So Option 1 says that there are some corrupted files it's unable to fix and to see the log. However the log is pretty massive.

Option 2 shows that the problem is limited to my account only. none of the other ones on my PC.

I am wary of trying Option 3 as it is for Windows 7. Wouldn't some things be changed in Windows 10?