8gb extra ram when only 4gb is supported

Njhfvy

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
I have an asus x550jx which apparently has 4gb ram on its own and an expansion slot that allows for 4gb extra ram, which is supposed to run at 1600MHz.

I borrowed a 8gb ram from my friend to see if it would work and it indeed worked, to some degree. I can see 12gb ram in task manager and I tried to fill it up to 11gb, it worked fine.

However the laptop sometimes BSODs, and some programs crash, something that did not happen with only 4gb extra ram.

When I check the ram speed, I see that extra 8gb ram is working at 668MHz (even though extra 8gb is is also supposed to be 1600MHz) and 9 9 9 24 (i'm not sure about the timings), in comparison to 800MHz 11 11 11 28 which is the case with 4gb extra ram.

Is there anyway I can make any 8gb extra ram function properly? 8gb total ram is not enough for me, I need more.

Apparently the Asus X550JX Notebook supports up to 16 GB of memory.

The issues being experienced with the present memory configuration may be due to -

1) The 8 GB SODIMM may not be (fully) compatible with the Notebook due to different memory chip architecture being used on the module.

2) The 8 GB SODIMM may be compatible with the Notebook, but is not compatible with the existing 4 GB SODIMM due to variations on module characteristics ( this is the common reason for memory related issues).

Using memory manufacturer memory compatibility search feature at their website, confirm SODIMM is compatible with the Notebook.

If the 8 GB SODIMM is shown/listed as being compatible with the Notebook, then the problem will be due to variations in module characteristics.

If the 8 GB SODIMM is not listed on compatible memory at memory manufacturer website, then the memory module architecture is likely to be incompatible. Note that not necessarily all combinations of memory may have been tested, so the memory of interest may be compatible anyway.

To save time, money and trouble, it is recommended that a 2 x 8 GB compatible dual channel kit be purchased instead. Confirm Notebook compatibility at memory manufacturer website before ordering the kit.

Njhfvy

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015

Where did you get the information that it supports 16gb?
Btw there is only 1 expansion slot in my laptop.

Could you take a brief look at this thread? http://

In summary:

This is the extra 8gb I tried to use : http://

How my CPU-Z looks with extra 8gb
Z9cMed2.png

How my CPU-Z looks with extra 4gb
Colvxwq.png

And one thing that might help identify the issue could be that the extra 8gb is supposed to be 1600MHz but when I use it I see 668, where as using extra 4gb (also 1600Mhz) I see 800mhz.

I do not know what SODIMM is, could you make a purchase recommendation if you are certain the laptop really supports up to 16gb (which is curious to me since the laptop has 4gb built in the motherboard and only 1 expansion slot)

Would this work, for example?
http://www.ramexperts.com/mushkin-992038-laptop-ddr3-8gb-pc3l-12800-1600mhz-sodimm-204pin-cl-11-11-11-28-1-35v.html

Also does CL 11 mean 11- 11- 11 -28? I want to really get everything exactly right if I'm going to buy one

The 16 GB memory capacity was taken from Crucial website here. Either the information at Crucial is incorrect, or there may be a sub-model of the X550JX that supports 16 GB?

So far I've come across X550JX models that either have 2 GB or 4 GB installed, and allow up to an additional 8 GB to be installed. I haven't as yet been able to confirm the existence of a 16 GB capacity (sub) model of the X550JX.

The 8 GB Corsair SODIMM may not be fully compatible with the Notebook? Also when adding memory to systems, it places extra load on the system, and the system may automatically (via BIOS) adjust (down clock) memory speeds if the memory load at rated memory speed can't be sustained/supported stably.

Unfortunately Corsair doesn't seem to have a listing for the Asus X550JX Notebook, so it can't be confirmed what Corsair memory is compatible.

SODIMM refers to the style/type of memory commonly used in laptops and notebooks, and it is used in the X550JX. SODIMM is physically smaller than the standard DIMM's (or UDIMM's) which are used in desktop computers (and sometimes in larger laptops).

The Mushkin SODIMM referenced may or may not be compatible with the Asus X550JX, as there is no compatibility listing for this module.

Recommend doing a search for compatible memory at memory manufacturers websites.

For example, doing a search for compatible memory at Kingston came up with these. All these SODIMM's should be compatible.

CAS Latency (or CL) is usually the first number in the series of numbers describing memory parameters. So for -> 11-11-11-28, means the first number 11 is the CAS Latency.