In need of a NEW PSU. NZXT 700W Hale82 v2

diegerdavis

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
Hi guys. It seems I'm unable to send PMs to the more experienced users so I guess I'll start a little thread about my latest concern.
I'm planning on getting a newer GPU for my system, the R9 280x, and since I don't think my current PSU will manage to handle it, I'll have to look for a more powerful option.

These are my current specs:
Intel i3 2100
Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3
Sapphire Radeon HD6770 Vapor-X (soon to be replaced)
WD 1TB Blue
Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600MHz
CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 600W

(Pretty ancient, huh)

The choices I have are very few, the market where I live is very dire and more so regarding PSUs.
Initially, I had thought about getting the 550W version of the NZXT PSU but, given that soon I will be adding a brand new SSD and, after that, perhaps I'll start upgrading the other components (the 280X would stay), I thought the 700W would be a better investment. What's your opinion on that product. Would it be good for latter investments such as moving on to a Haswell processor or even making a bigger step and go for a newer technology.

Other choices you can review here. The other PSU that pop into my head is the Corsair CX750M, though it is more expensive.

NZXT 500W: 1600$ (around 178 USD)
NZXT 700W: 2100$ (235 USD)
Corsair 750M: 2600$ (290 USD)

I hope I've been clear enough. Let me know what you think-- Hopefully I'll find a solution in the discussion.

diegerdavis

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
Right. Thanks for the quick answer :)

Before we go on, I should state that I'm quite ignorant about PSUs... so, bear with me.

I've been checking what PSU models of those listed in that thread I can get and, as I stated before, the market here is very poor.
Out of all the options, I only managed to get availability on two Seasonic models: Seasonic M12II 620W [Bronze] and Seasonic X Series 850W [Gold]. Of course this last model will suffice my needs and, more than likely will run almost anything but I'm curious about how the 620W model will do. I read somewhere that the R9 280X GPU needs a single 12v@30A rail [at least] and with the M12II there are no specifications that match that criteria (12v@24A).

There's also another Seasonic, the S12II. It has a 12v@40A rail but it only works with 520W so, bearing that in the near future I will be making some changes to the system, it wouldn't be such a good investment in terms of sheer power.

I can give you an approximation of the specs I have in mind for my future system, if you need them.

TRENDING THREADS