Best Way To Set Up Wired Connection Upstairs Without Using Wall plugs

jackfowler

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hi, I'm trying to set up a wired internet connection upstairs in my house. I currently have a BTbusinessHub (downstairs) and I have 1 wired connection from that router which runs through the ceiling and into my room. I have many things set up in my room which requires internet such as:

Desktop PC (currently on wired)
Xbox One
PS4
Xbox 360
WD TV
Printer
+ more in the future

All of which have wireless abilities too, but we all know wired is superior and because I'm redoing my room right now I thought it was time to sort out wired connections for at least the game consoles.

I was under the impression I could get another router/switch connected to the 1 wire connection I already have which comes to my room and then use that to connect as many wires as I want around my room whilst also extending the wireless connection? Networking isn't something I know a lot about so would be great to know which router/switch I would need and what to look for when buying one since there are lots of different types + what kind of cables I would need. I would take a guess at standard cables would be fine but I just want to confirm before spending money on something I don't need or doesn't work properly!

Sidenote - I don't want to use the wall socket extensions, I'm already low on wall socket space and I personally don't like them anyway!

Thanks

PsyhoMir

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
In this situation You just need an Ethernet cable and broadband router with WiFi, however Routers usually dont have more than 4 Ethernet ports . It also could be a switch but switches dont have WiFi when it may be useful for You.

Your thoughts are correct.

jackfowler

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Okay that's good news. Nothing complicated needed although I'm a little unsure what to buy router wise. What should I look out for when buying a router to chain up with my current one so that it doesn't create any bottlenecks or loss of features/wireless ability?

As for buying a switch, generally wireless connection is okay from the downstairs router so maybe a switch with lets say 6/8 ethernet ports could work and anything that's wireless will just have to be connected from downstairs.

Which one would be the cheaper option, a router with at least 4 ports and no bottlenecks or a switch with 6/8 ports and no bottlenecks?