Is the Windows 10 Download Tool Now free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dturner0528

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Obviously, we all know about the free upgrade to Windows 10 from compatible versions of 7 and 8. There's the little 'Get Windows 10' icon in the bottom of the system tray that eventually tells you when you're green to upgrade.
My question, however, is with the 'Download Tool Now' buttons on this web page:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
I've downloaded it for my Windows 7 PC and I see an 'Upgrade this PC Now' option. I'm apprehensive about continuing with this. Would this be a 'free' upgrade (like if I weren't too impatient to wait for the system tray Icon to work), or would I need a new Windows 10 Product key for this?

Thanks in advance for anyone answering, I do apologize if this has been asked/answered before. I tried searching, but couldn't find anything on this specifically.

Solution
Yup, that link is fine. That's what I used to upgrade a day after it was available so that I didn't have to wait.

It's an official link and DL. You're good to go as long as you have 7 or 8 already installed.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Yup, that link is fine. That's what I used to upgrade a day after it was available so that I didn't have to wait.

It's an official link and DL. You're good to go as long as you have 7 or 8 already installed.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.