Monitors will not go into power save mode after full boot

Hotelmrrsn

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
I have a self built system : ASUS P8z77-V Deluxe MB, Intel Core i7-2600k, MSI GTX 660Ti , I've made sure both the chipset and nvidia drivers are up to date. I have DELL s2340M x 2 hooked up to my vid card with DVI. I have my power and sleep settings so that it never goes to sleep but the monitor turns off after 10 mins of inactivity and no screen saver. I've ensured that only my keyboard, naga and nostromo (also current with drivers) are not waking or preventing sleep. If i turn my computer on from an off state and walk away from it at the lock screen the monitors will enter power save mode at 10 mins as i have set up. However if i power up from an off state and enter my password/pin to full boot into the OS the monitors will not enter power save mode. I've done selective start up, I've rooted through cmd lines using powercfg, I've disconnected peripherals but can not get the monitors to power save once the OS is up and running. I know that new releases can be buggy and that sometimes these things can be expected but would love to know if anyone else is having this issue and if anyone can offer additional troubleshooting techniques or even tell me which device controls telling the monitor to go into power save mode. Thank you in advance for your help, my apologies if I left out any important information. (Win 10 64-bit Pro)
Thank you,
Mike

Hotelmrrsn

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
Edit: I fixed this by going to Device Manager/Human Interface Devices and disabling the following: HID-compliant consumer control device, HID-compliant game controller, and HID-compliant vendor-defined device. Each had a driver from 6/21/2006 from Microsoft, version 10.0.10240.16384 that seemed to be the culprit. Thanks.

KymAH

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
Thanks so much for coming back and posting your fix Hotelmrrsn.
The same problem has been driving me nuts and this seems to have fixed things for me too.

Sep 16, 2019
I had a very similar problem to what was experienced where my screen wouldn't power down after a set period of time. For reference, I am running Windows 10, and this problem really started after one of the semi annual releases that was deployed by Microsoft.

I followed the directions given by Hotelmrrsn, but following them verbatim didn't work as I didn't have the same items listed in Device Manager/Human Interface Devices.

With that being said, the culprit was located in that section - there has to be something in there that is triggering some sort of activity periodically. There was a bit of trial and error involved,by I disabled the items under Device Manager/Human Interface Devices one at a time and then triggered my screen off using a Poweroff utility - I eventually found the offending device (which looks like it was a ghost device left over from before the upgrade).