Buy windows 10 or 8.1 and upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

EM98xXkillerXx

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
So my question is if it will matter for my hard drive (Samsung 850 EVO SSD) if I buy windows 8.1 and upgrade straight to windows 10 from there. I don't mind the wait as I will most likely turn it on before I go to school and allow it to continue once i get home, however I was wondering if any residual files from an empty Windows 8.1 would be left over. I would like to go the Windows 8.1 route because I've found it cheaper, however I wouldn't like the hassle as much as just installing Windows 10 directly. Any answers and places I can get Windows cheap would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
If you start with 8.1 and Upgrade, you'll have a Windows.old folder, easily deleted.
Other than that...no problems.

But seeing the small issues with the upgrade process in general, just starting with Win 10 might not be a bad idea.

USAFRet

Titan
If you start with 8.1 and Upgrade, you'll have a Windows.old folder, easily deleted.
Other than that...no problems.

But seeing the small issues with the upgrade process in general, just starting with Win 10 might not be a bad idea.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Here we go.
That is NOT a valid source for a Windows OS. Even reddit doesn't think so.

Go to a valid retailer and buy it.

EM98xXkillerXx

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015

wait, is it illegal or something? I was just hoping to find a place i could buy it very cheap, if it is illegal then i'll have to find another way. If it is then is g2a a legal source to buy from? I can go the 8.1 route that way for 60 dollars cheaper.

USAFRet

Titan

G2A, reddit, kinguin, etc, etc, etc....none of those are valid resellers.
Daily, we see people here who have bought from one of those sources, and either it doesn't activate off the bat, or 3 months down the road...then it reports 'not activated'.

The licenses you buy from those sources are generally MSDN, academic, TechNet, ex-corporate...none of which are for resale.
Eventually, the activation servers may unactivate yours. And then you are out of luck.

A Windows OS costs what it costs. We'd all like to save money, but it doesn't work like that.
Reddit or similar is exactly like buying a 70" TV for $75 from some dude in the walmart parking lot.

Or...if you saw "brand new" 16GB RAM for $30, you'd be suspicious. And rightfully so. This is the same.
The OS costs what it costs. Generally between $90-$110.

It is not that it is illegal but it is not valid as there is no accounting for who the key is sold to or how many times. G2A has been known to sell used or the same key to multiple people and on top of it they also have been known to sell non transferable keys.

You are better off ordering it from either a reputable company or Microsoft directly (I did the latter as I trust them more).

EM98xXkillerXx

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
Alright then, looks like i'll wait out on Windows 10 until I can buy it. Maybe i'll get it for christmas or something, I have a copy of Windows 7 (non-activated, it's my dad's) so i'll stick to that till I can upgrade. Thanks for all the help guys!

USAFRet

Titan

If you have a valid 7 install, you can upgrade that directly to Win 10. No purchase needed.

EM98xXkillerXx

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015

Well it's not technically a valid windows 7, it's my dad's and he has it registered on his pc which he is getting Windows 10 on fairly soon. I borrowed it and installed it and all. also I don't know where the product key is even if I looked for it so I cant really register unless I get another key. I also sorta want a clean install, I have a fair amount of residual junk from previously installed programs (temporary files and such).

Status
Not open for further replies.