RAID 0 w/ 2 SSDs & RAID 1 w/ 2 HDDs

drkstlkr

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
Hello everyone! Been referencing Tom's Hardware articles for many years, but finally got a question I haven't been able to find an answer for...

Currently, I have three HDDs, two of them are identical 4TB HDDs, and planning to setup RAID 1 (mirroring) on those two for personal data (docs, pics, music, videos, etc). However, sometime down the road, I'd like to also setup RAID 0 (stripping) for my OSes on two identical SSDs. So, is it possible to run two different RAIDs simultanteously?

I have an older Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 motherboard (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A89GTD_PROUSB3/specifications/) using an onboard JMicron JMB361 controller (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/JMB361.pdf)

drkstlkr

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015

It does, under the "Storage" section...
SB850 Chipset
6 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports Support RAID 0,1,5,10
JMicron® JMB361 PATA and SATA controller
1 xUltraDMA 133/100 for up to 2 PATA devices
1 xExternal Power eSATA 3.0Gb/s port

KevGuy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015

So, it does support RAID...my bad.

I do not see why you cannot do what you want to do. You just create the first volume for the two 4TB drives for mirror then when you get your second SSD, you create another volume for the RAID 0.

popatim

Titan
Yes you can, just set your amd sata ports into raid mode in the bios and press the key-combe (ex: ctrl+H) to enter the raid utility after you save and exit the motherbd bios. In the raid utility you can create your LD's and define them as raid 1 or 0.

drkstlkr

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
Awesome guys, I appreciate the help! However, I'm running into a weird issue while trying to setup my Raid 1 mirror...

After I backed everything up to an external HDD, I went into my BIOS, turned on RAID, rebooted, and went into the RAID utility (CTRL+F). I then setup the RAID 1 mirror on my two 4TB HDDs. I immediately noticed that the AMD RAID utility wasn't seeing my HDDs as 4TBs, but about 2TBs instead. But, for kicks and giggles, I proceeded, and enabled RAID 1 mirroring on those two 4TB HDDs, and the RAID utility reported that the RAID 1 mirror was functional.

Rebooted into Win10, and under Disk Management, it still sees these two 4TB HDDs as two separate HDDs instead of a single HDD. I thought that was strange. I'm even able to partition/format each drive separately as if they aren't raided at all. So I reboot, go back into the RAID utility, removed the RAID, reconfigured the RAID again, tried different options, and still, no RAID 1 mirror.

I'm attempting to use the integrated RAID controller in the AMD 890GX/SB850 chipset. I've tried researching online if this chipset/RAID utility has any drive compatibility issues or size limitations, but haven't found anything. Any ideas?

popatim

Titan
How old is the bios you have on that? I know it supports 3tb drives so I would begin by updating the bios.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A89GTD_PROUSB3/HelpDesk_Download/

Looks like 1104 fixed the hdd size issue for drives larger than 2.2tb. I have as 6tb raid0 on my 890 gigabyte board with the 850 sb.