Quesion about the Windows 10 Reset feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsonelx

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
So I used to clean install my OS every now and then when I used to have xp/vista/7 to get rid of pesky programs that I couldn't delete and other annoying things. It used to completely wipe my harddrive and reinstall the OS.

My question is does the reset feature for Windows 10 do this as well without having to download/make a boot flashdrive and what not? It just seems to be an easier alternative if so.

Solution
Well it depends, If your just cleaning things up it shouldn't matter. But reset basically resets everything and you can say "clear my drive" and it will get rid of everything. If you selected this option its essentially the same as wiping the hard drive completely and doing a fresh install of windows. If you want to be safe I would just do a clean install and use diskpart, but its up to you.

EDIT: I looked into it a little further and found out that it is basically the same as doing a clean install if you choose "clear my drive" and it will wipe everything. IMO I would still do a clean install just to be safe though

NEmpire95

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
Yes and no, If you use the reset feature you can "get rid" of all your old files. It will never be as clean as a fresh clean install of windows. They did make this feature with that in mind though. Although its more for a reset of the pc then getting rid of a couple pesky programs.

xsonelx

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

So basically I am better off just doing a clean install then I guess.

NEmpire95

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
Well it depends, If your just cleaning things up it shouldn't matter. But reset basically resets everything and you can say "clear my drive" and it will get rid of everything. If you selected this option its essentially the same as wiping the hard drive completely and doing a fresh install of windows. If you want to be safe I would just do a clean install and use diskpart, but its up to you.

EDIT: I looked into it a little further and found out that it is basically the same as doing a clean install if you choose "clear my drive" and it will wipe everything. IMO I would still do a clean install just to be safe though

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.