Windows 10 Free upgrade from 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenicoNico

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I've been wanting to upgrade to Windows 10 since the first day Microsoft offers free upgrade from Windows 8.1. I have a few questions however.

1. Will I lose all my data?
2. How does it work? (do I need a USB drive to install? or will it figure itself out without me doing anything AT ALL?)
3. What's the difference between the free upgrade and the retail version?

Solution
1) No. All data is preserved. And so are all your programs.
2) Upgrade over the Windows update - sit back and relax until it is done. You can also download Windows 10 ISO image from Microsoft website, burn it to a DVD media, then install under your current 8.1 while it is running. Upgrade will be performed. No USB required.
3) In terms of functionality, none. Retail can be used for a clean install on the first attempt, which the upgrade version cannot (in fact it can, but your windows will not be activated) - you need to upgrade your 8.1 first to get a new windows 10 key licence, only then you can do clean install if you wish.
1. if you choose to keep data, no, you wont lose it. however it is ALWAYS recommended to back up important things before big operations like this.
2. you either download/install it through windows update or media creation tool http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install
since you HAVE to do upgrade and not clean install on first time, you don't need usb drive/disk at all.
3. Free upgrade will be tied to hardware, aka OEM installation (based on some blogs) but there has also been mention that retail win7/8 will be retail even in win10

retail, you can in reinstall on different computer if/once you upgrade. provided of course that same license is not used in old one still.

1) No. All data is preserved. And so are all your programs.
2) Upgrade over the Windows update - sit back and relax until it is done. You can also download Windows 10 ISO image from Microsoft website, burn it to a DVD media, then install under your current 8.1 while it is running. Upgrade will be performed. No USB required.
3) In terms of functionality, none. Retail can be used for a clean install on the first attempt, which the upgrade version cannot (in fact it can, but your windows will not be activated) - you need to upgrade your 8.1 first to get a new windows 10 key licence, only then you can do clean install if you wish.

Solution

Geek Jed

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
You will not loose your files. (although some ppl freak out cause windows 10 installation automatically makes a new profile). No USB drive, it works through and as a windows update. The free you can only install once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS