Need a little help with building a top end pc

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Hi everyone this is my first post on toms hardware

I kinda want to build myself a new pc. I built my budget rig on my birthday a year ago.. aaaand i thought it would be a good time to build a proper top end pc.

The thing is, i said "kinda" because looking at all the games that have been released in the past few years, and all the new games that have been announced.. i just simply dont see anything interesting to play anymore. I dont really want to turn this thread into a rant or an opinion war, but really all games are pretty shit atm. It really takes away the point of upgrading. But on the other hand, M&B 2 and fallout 4 are coming out which kind of make me want to upgrade.

My current budget rig is:
amd fx 6350 6x4.2
gtx 660 2gb vram
8 gb 1666mhz ram

most people would think this is a low end, shitty amd rig. but i completely disagree because like i said i dont find any new games interesting and i can play most newer games on high 1080p 60 fps (except for witcher 3 ^^). which is perfectly fine for me.

The new build i was thinking about would probably be gtx 980ti, around 16gb of ram (maybe ddr4) 2000+mhz and cpu.. i wasnt really paying attention to all the new cpus intel has been releasing lately, which is why it kinda made me confused. All these new pointless i5s etc really disoriented me and i dont know which cpu would be best for gaming atm. i suppose the top end i7 isnt the best anymore ? I would appreciate if somebody could explain it to me whats the situation with cpus as of now :)

Regarding the new rig, next problem is that its a bit pointless to build a top end rig. The reason for that is because new cpus are coming out in 2016, intel releases these new i5s, nvidia will probably release a better gpu than gtx 980ti.. all the top end hardware which is top right now, will become obsolete/a lot cheaper in a very short time. So how should i upgrade if i dont want to waste money on it ? im talking about price to performance ratio.

What do you guys think ? help me out here let me know what you think about this weird thread ;d

Welcome to Tom's!

What's your budget?

I suggest all you do is upgrade your CPU, motherboard and GPU. Possibly your power supply as well, if your current can't handle a high end GPU. There is no reason what so ever to get 16 GB RAM for gaming, DDR4 won't boost performance one bit, and the price of upgrading to DDR4 alone is ridiculous and not what you want, if you're after price to performance. Since all you want is 1080p at 60, the GTX 980 Ti is overkill, however you want it to last, so it's worth it. But it's price to performance ratio is not very high...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B85M-E45 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.88 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Black Edition Video Card ($294.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $531.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-14 07:59 EDT-0400

But, the GTX 660 is by no means terrible, and majority of gamers aren't playing at the highest settings possible. Looking at the Steam survey, majority of gamers on Steam are below the specs of the new consoles...

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
the budget around 2.5k euros. i want to have top end, and im thinking of getting into 2k resolution to be honest. which is the 2000 something resolution right? 1440p xd?

of course, haha i know that upgrading JUST ram is pointless mate :) the reason why i mentioned ddr4 is because i thought i saw that some new cpus require ddr4 ram? sorry i didnt really look into it.

im not quite liking the hardware you showed me. cpu isnt that amazing anymore, motherboard is budget and (as far as i know, and i wasnt paying attention) that amd card is pretty shit compared to what nvidia has to offer

and honestly bro, i think that its pointless to just upgrade 3 things because itll cost me a lot as well. so i might as well just go all in you know ^^? i also want to change my case to something nice looking. in other words, i want to have a nice beastly looking rig :)

and another point, games dont even utilize ram properly so i know that 8 is enough. but looking at the requirements of new games, they all show 8 gigs as recommended, so i thought i might just as well invest in ram and never to be bothered with it again so thought that since im going all in, why not have 16 gigs of ram haha

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
ah of course, gtx 660 is an amazing card. one of those cards that nvidia has managed not to fuck up ^_^ but its old unfortunately, and its only 2 gigs. its time to upgrade to at least 4

Specify all your needs (components, and how you are going to use it), and we will put together a PC for you. Yes I agree, the GTX 660 is a fantastic card. If you are currently sitting really close, then all you have to do is to sit a foot further back, lower in game res to 720, and it'll be like new. You maintain retina density, so that's good. But out the window after you mentioned 1440, yes that would be 2560x1440 for a 16:9 (2.5k) display.

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
im very familiar with hardware mate, but monitors.... not so much haha. i dont quite get the resolutions, as in what resolution stands for a display. for example 2.5k like you said. (i also dont get why its called 2.5k xd)

mate its pc gaming, why would i sit far away from the monitor :p ? i never even thought of going 720p and sitting further away haha.

hmm components? and how am i going to use it? for gaming of course ^^ nothing else.
if i wanted to play lets say for example, new games (fallout 4,m&b 2,witcher 3) and games with high requirements like these on ULTRA, 2k resolution... what hardware would you recommend? it also needs to last for a couple of years.

and also, same thing for the same games, but in full hd resolution :)

after that could i ask you couple of questions about monitors too :p?

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
so no help ? if i had everything figured out, i wouldnt be asking for help mate would i ^^?

do you know the new cpus that came out? can you tell me whats the situation

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
oh and also, would you recommend getting a 2k ultra wide screen ? how big performance hit does a ultra wide screen have on your system ?

bsod1

Distinguished
Why don't you just get yourself a PS4? You'll get the latest games at decent graphics. It makes sense. If you want a pc, wait for a while for Skylake to release it's complete lineup. Build sometime in mid-September. You'll get the latest at normal-ish prices.

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
bsod1 mate im gonna pretend you didnt just mention a ps4 haha. i hate consoles. thanks for trying to help, but im a pc gamer till i die.

hmm ok, but out of curiosity, how big is the performance hit on ultra wide screens :)?

bsod1

Distinguished
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€73.07 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€159.47 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€71.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€94.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€55.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Classified ACX 2.0+ Video Card (€1113.08 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower Case (€89.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€84.90 @ Caseking)
Monitor: Dell U2715H 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (€305.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €2047.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-15 14:53 CEST+0200

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
hmm i cant see any 2k monitors with 120/144 refresh rate o_O i cant look at amazon because they dont ship to ireland

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
oh yeah it should. its very nice looking hehe :) thank you bro. is gtx 980ti really that expensive where you live ?

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
do you mind just explaining to me how the new cpus that came out compare to the, say for example, i7-4770k or 4790k, which used to be completely overkill even for top end systems?? like i mentioned earlier few times im completely confused since so many of them came out and i lost track of it :p

People that buy these new chips, are enthusiasts. Nothing less, nothing more. It's the 1%. Everyone else don't have to upgrade, mainly because the IPC performance bump from even the Sandy Bridge CPU's, isn't that high, in terms of gaming. If you want to go all out, get the latest and greatest, and buy everything to take advantage of the extra features it comes with, very simple. However, do note that a lot of people buy high end rigs, only to RARELY take advantage of what it's capable of. Above build is great, I would rather go with an air cooler than AIO water, they're more silent.

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
thank you suzuki. yeah the build is great, but honestly id have to look that up what you said, regarding the silent fan. i have that corsair one and its really, really quiet. unless the cooler bsod1 showed us is so silent you cant even hear it ?