Can't see my computer at all

Tychion

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
I just bought a new monitor and tried to set up dual monitors. I had my new one as the main one but I couldn't see my desktop icons, I could only see my toolbar. When I switched to the old monitor and made that one the main one, I could see icons but nothing else. When I tried to make my new one the main one again, I couldn't because the screen to choose the option was stuck on the monitor which I couldn't see. My second monitor kept saying entering power save mode so I couldn't use it. So I had my second monitor display on the new monitor and I couldn't change my display back to the main monitor where I can go to the control panel and other things. I have an hdmi plugged into my computer going into the monitor and I had a vga cord for my old one and it kept saying entering power save mode. I also had another hdmi slot on my computer but that also came up with entering power save mode when I tried to use that too. So I just restarted my computer and now I can't see anything. I don't know how I can troubleshoot without seeing anything. My new monitor is black and when I unplugged that to see if the second one would show up, it was just black off the start up too. I'm so frustrated I need help. I know this can be confusing so ask me any questions if you need help understanding because it's kinda hard to explain.

Solution
Sounds like everything was working, you just needed to move the icons over to the screen you wanted as your main one. Not sure what you did after that but I would just unplug everything, set the connection the way it was for the single monitor and reboot the computer. Once that is done, hook up the second one and set it up how you want it. Also make sure you are using the right connections, sounds like you have both an add-on video card and onboard video, which is likely disabled since the video card is in the system. You may want to have a friend that knows about computers come by to help, from the sound of things you may just not have known how to setup the displays and started changing things that made it worse.
Sounds like everything was working, you just needed to move the icons over to the screen you wanted as your main one. Not sure what you did after that but I would just unplug everything, set the connection the way it was for the single monitor and reboot the computer. Once that is done, hook up the second one and set it up how you want it. Also make sure you are using the right connections, sounds like you have both an add-on video card and onboard video, which is likely disabled since the video card is in the system. You may want to have a friend that knows about computers come by to help, from the sound of things you may just not have known how to setup the displays and started changing things that made it worse.

Solution